ANTECEDENT: CHAPTER 8

NIGHT after night, Midnight found himself trapped in a terrifying nightmare, causing him to cooped himself up in his darkroom again. Even Dominick couldn't drag Midnight out of his room unless it was time for a meal. Thus, when Silvanus arrived for his next psychotherapy session with Midnight a couple of days later, the dark circle under Midnight's eyes was prominent.

Silvanus could tell what happened without needing to ask. He knew that Midnight's state right now was a side effect from their last session.

"How are you feeling?" Silvanus asked after Midnight settled himself on the reclining chair. "Be honest. I need to know your state."

"Not good."

"Can you explain further?"

"It's just... not good."

"I need more than not good, Midnight." Silvanus had to press for more answers. "If you don't tell me, then I must postpone our session for today. I have to make sure you are okay first because our session today might make your condition worst."

Midnight was silent for a long while before he opened his mouth. "I... I've been having some nightmares. Every night."

Silvanus nodded in understanding. "That's one of the side effects of hypnosis. We are, after all, reliving your darkest and most painful memory."

Midnight clenched his fist. "I can manage."

"I don't think so," Silvanus disagreed. "You look like hell."

Midnight became silent again.

Silvanus sighed, then loudly clasp his hands. "Alright. Let's talk about your nightmares. We have to face it and discuss it before we could move forward with our psychotherapy."

Midnight remained silent. Silvanus did not repeat his words again and just patiently waited for Midnight to share his nightmares.

Not long after, Midnight finally made a sound. "I... I keep seeing myself on the operating table... being operated on."

A gleam of understanding flash on Silvanus' eyes. "Do you know what the operation is about?"

Midnight silently nodded.

"Can you tell me?"

Midnight pressed his lips together tightly. A gesture that meant he didn't want to speak more of it.

Silvanus sighed. "Alright. I won't ask. But you have to answer some questions for me."

"Okay."

Silvanus picked up his tablet. "After you woke up from your nightmares, is there a shortness of breath, dizziness, or headache?"

"No."

"Alright." Silvanus then gestured his hand to the machine he brought. "In this session, I will hook you to a Holter monitor to monitor your heart rate. Actually, it would be best if I could hook you into an EEG, but it's in my laboratory. Will make do for now. However, if we plan to continue this until the end, then you need to visit my lab for sessions. I have cutting-edge machines in my lab that could help me understand your brain better."

Midnight subtly nodded. "I'll think about it."

"Okay." Silvanus smiled and started the recording. "Let's start."

A few seconds after Midnight fell into deep relaxation, Silvanus asked, "describe to me what's around you."

"Darkness."

His safe place again, Silvanus thought. "There's a door behind you. Go inside."

This time, Midnight did not hesitate and went inside.