ANTECEDENT: CHAPTER 6

HEARING the recording of his own hypnosis, Midnight was looking forward to his session with Silvanus. But it seemed that his 'doctor' had no plans to visit him twice in a week because of the distance Silvanus kept complaining about. When in fact, Silvanus rode a helicopter to get here and it didn't even took an hour or so.

So, what distance?

"Night, come on! We're having a picnic!"

Hearing Dominick's voice, Midnight could only inwardly sigh.

After a week of being here, he realized something. This family was different from his own. They're sunny, cheerful, affectionate and love to drag him around everywhere. And after a week, he had already gotten used to it.

Midnight let Dominick drag him to the garden.

It was bright. There was countless food, there was laughter and light conversation while being surrounded by flowers and fresh air.

To Midnight, this was a novel experience. Something he hadn't experienced before. Something he longed deeply but couldn't have.

"So, Night, how was your stay here?" Midnight, who was silent as usual, was put in the spotlight by Dominick.

"It's okay."

Happy's expectant smile, the butler's soft smile, and Dominick's encouraging smile all slowly disappeared after Midnight's short answer.

They didn't find it surprising; in fact, it felt like something they had expected. Since the beginning, Midnight has been silent with them ever since they arrived, only exchanging brief words.

Sensing the discomfort in the air, Klaus skillfully steered the conversation away from Midnight, replacing it with a topic that would put the young man at ease. Worthy of being a butler, indeed.

Halfway through the picnic, Dominick received a call and Klaus had to use the bathroom. It was just Happy and Midnight on the picnic blanket.

Happy started a conversation. "I heard from dad that you're undergoing therapy with Dr. Silvanus?"

Midnight silently nodded.

Happy smiled. "That's great. Dr. Silvanus is an amazing doctor. He helped me a lot when I was sick, too."

Hearing Happy's lighthearted tone while mentioning her sickness, Midnight couldn't help asking. "You were in a coma, right?"

Happy was taken aback when Midnight spoke to her, but she quickly composed herself and responded. "Hmm. I was in a coma for so many years. Everyone around dad told him to give up on me and just let me rest in peace, but dad never did. He fought for me and here I am, alive and kicking."

Midnight initially viewed Dominick as an annoying old man with so many tricks up his sleeve, but upon discovering his unwavering determination to save his daughter's life, he became only slightly, but still slightly, annoying.

"I hope your therapy goes well." Said Happy when Midnight didn't speak again. "Praying for you to get well soon."

Midnight blinked at Happy, inwardly bewildered. "Am i...unwell?"

Those words surprised Happy, and her smile faltered. She didn't know how to answer Midnight's question. "Um..." Isn't he?

Seeing Happy's hesitation, Midnight looked away and said, "never mind."

Dominick and Klaus came back shortly after, and Midnight never spoke again. Thus, after their picnic, Happy got her father alone in the garden to tell him what had happened with Midnight earlier.