CHAPTER 7 - The Suitor

—AIAH—

It was the middle of the week. I hadn't seen Mikha since that night in Cavite. She hasn't visited the shop either. I heard from Sir Lauren she was visiting potential branches of the bakery with her dad.

I also did not receive any text messages from her. Well, hindi ko rin sure bakit nga ba ko nagiintay ng text message from her eh hindi naman niya hiningi number ko. Saka bakit rin niya ko imemessage?

Pero, hindi ako baliw eh. Or baliw na nga ba? Hindi ko kasi makalimutan yung sinabi niya nung gabing 'yon. Her job became interesting daw because of me. Ano ba meaning nun? May gusto siya sa'kin o ano? Pero alam ko nga bawal ang relationship dito sa amin, what more pa anak nung may-ari.

Today, I decided to work the afternoon shift since I had a presentation in school that morning. So, I was closing tonight. While busy counting sales, I heard the gate open.

I looked out the window and saw Mikha's car passing by.

Oh, what is she doing here? Sarado naman na kami. Nagtataka ako.

Anyway, I resumed my task. Suddenly, my phone rang. Unknown number. Sino kaya 'to?

"Hello, good evening Aiah, si Colet 'to. Friend ni Mikha," said the person on the other side of the phone.

"Colet? Oh yeah, from Ellipsis?" I asked.

"Oo, ako yung kasama ni Gwen saka Mikha. Anyway, I called because I wanted to ask you on a date tonight, if available ka," Colet said.

"Tonight? May work pa ako right now pero matatapos na rin in a while. Saan mo gusto makipagkita?" I asked Colet.

"We can have dinner sa may Pasay. Sunduin na lang kita diyan sa shop nila Mikha in about 30 minutes?" Colet offered.

"Hmm, okay, sure. See you then," I said to Colet before I hung up.

As I finished my tasks and prepared to close the shop, my mind was racing. A date with Colet? Why did I feel a mix of excitement and apprehension? I couldn't deny that part of me was curious about Colet, but another part of me couldn't stop thinking about Mikha.

I went to the back room to gather my things. Just as I was about to leave, I heard footsteps approaching. I turned around and saw Mikha standing at the door, looking as poised as ever. She was wearing a crisp white blouse and tailored pants, looking effortlessly elegant.

"Hi, Aiah. I hope I'm not disturbing you," she said with a small smile, her eyes reflecting a hint of something I couldn't quite place.

"Oh, hi, ma'am. No, you're not. I was just about to leave," I replied, feeling a bit flustered.

"I wanted to check on the shop and see how everything is going. And also, I was hoping to talk to you," she said, her tone more serious.

"Sure, what's up?" I asked, trying to sound casual.

"I've been meaning to apologize for not keeping in touch after that night. Things have been hectic with the business, but that's no excuse," she said, looking genuinely apologetic.

"It's okay, ma'am. I understand. You've been busy," I replied, though my heart was pounding.

"By the way, are you free tonight? I was hoping we could catch up over dinner," Mikha suggested, her eyes searching mine.

My mind went blank for a moment. I remembered my plans with Colet and felt a wave of confusion. Why did this have to happen now?

"Actually, I have plans tonight," I said reluctantly. "I'm meeting a friend for dinner."

"Oh, I see," Mikha said, her expression falling slightly. "Well, maybe some other time then."

"Yeah, maybe," I replied, feeling a pang of regret.

As I left the shop, I couldn't shake the feeling that I was caught in a complicated web of emotions. I had to figure out what I truly wanted and who I wanted to be with. But for now, I had a date to attend.

When I stepped outside, I saw Colet's car pulling up. She waved at me with a bright smile. I took a deep breath and walked towards her, ready to see where this night would take me.

Colet stepped out of the car, her eyes lighting up when she saw me. She was wearing a sleek black dress that highlighted her figure, her hair styled in loose waves. "Hey, Aiah! Ready to go?"

"Yeah, let's go," I said, trying to push thoughts of Mikha out of my mind.

As we drove to Pasay, Colet filled the car with easy conversation. She had a way of making me feel at ease, her laughter infectious. But every now and then, my thoughts would drift back to Mikha and the look on her face when I told her I had plans.

We arrived at a quaint little restaurant in Pasay, the warm lights and soft music creating an intimate atmosphere. Colet and I found a cozy corner table, and she immediately started talking about her latest adventures and plans.

"...and then I thought, why not just go for it? Life's too short to hold back, right?" Colet said, her eyes sparkling with enthusiasm.

"Right," I agreed, trying to stay engaged. But I couldn't shake the nagging feeling in the back of my mind.

As the night went on, I found myself laughing and enjoying Colet's company more and more. She was charming and fun, and it was easy to forget my worries with her around.

After dinner, we took a walk along the nearby bay, the cool breeze and the sound of the waves providing a perfect backdrop for our conversation. Colet reached for my hand, and I let her, enjoying the simple connection.

But as we stood there, looking out at the water, I couldn't help but think about Mikha again. The way she looked at me, the things she said... I knew I had to sort out my feelings.

"Colet, I had a great time tonight," I said, turning to her. "But I think I need some time to figure things out."

She looked a bit surprised but nodded understandingly. "I get it, Aiah. Just know that I'm here if you need someone to talk to or hang out with."

"Thank you," I said, giving her a genuine smile.