CHAPTER 2 - Heavy is the Head that Wears the Crown

--MIKHA--

"Mikha, ready na ba yung report?" my dad asked the moment I went downstairs. His voice carried the usual hint of impatience.

"Yes, Dad, I already sent it to your email," I replied, trying to mask the weariness in my voice.

"Good. Now hurry up and eat your breakfast. I don't want to be late. Ipapakilala kita sa mga tao. We don't want to leave a bad impression. Matagal na natin silang mga empleyado," he warned. Today was the day I officially joined our family business. I had come from the States right after finishing high school and getting a fast-track course on family business.

No one wanted to take over the business, and my dad was already getting frustrated. So, instead of nagging my siblings and me, I took on the responsibility. For the past year, I've been carrying this burden and pressure.

I sat down at the empty dining table and took a sip of my coffee. I grabbed a few slices of bread with peanut butter and some blueberries. I still didn't understand why we had to prepare so much breakfast when it was just me and my dad in this big house since my mom and siblings were all in California.

"Ate Lot, I'm done eating. Please finish all of this together with the other yayas. Please don't waste food. Dad and I need to go," I called out to our housekeeper as I gathered my things—my phone, laptop, and some documents—and headed out to the waiting car right outside our house.

"Uuwi po ba kayo ng maaga, ma'am? For dinner?" Ate Lot asked while we walked toward the gate.

"I think Dad will, but I won't have dinner at home. Thanks, Ate," I replied.

As I got into the car, Kuya Robert, our driver, greeted me with a nod. Beside me in the backseat, my dad was already engrossed in his emails.

"I've seen your report. This is good, but we need a more detailed breakdown of costs on why we need to update the equipment for our mixer. Send me another revision by noon," my dad ordered, not even looking up from his tablet.

"Sure, Dad, will do," I replied, trying to keep my voice steady. The demands of wearing this crown were starting to feel heavy, and the pressure was building up.

The drive to the bake shop was filled with a tense silence, punctuated only by the tapping of my dad's fingers on his tablet. I looked out the window, watching the city wake up. The streets were still damp from the early morning rain, and the sky was a gloomy gray, matching my mood.

When we arrived at the shop, I took a deep breath before stepping out of the car. This was it. My first day officially stepping into my role in the family business. The smell of freshly baked bread greeted me as I entered, a small comfort in my otherwise chaotic morning. The employees glanced up from their work, curiosity and a hint of apprehension in their eyes.

My dad led the way, introducing me to everyone. "Good morning, everyone. This is my daughter, Mikha. She will be joining us from today. Let's make her feel welcome."

I nodded politely, feeling the weight of their expectations settle on my shoulders. As I moved through the shop, I couldn't help but notice the critical glances and whispered comments. It was clear that not everyone was thrilled about my presence.

The factory, located just behind the shop, buzzed with activity. Machines hummed, and the aroma of baking bread filled the air. I took it all in, the sheer scale of the operation overwhelming me for a moment.

Back in the office, my dad turned to me. "Remember, Mikha, this is your responsibility now. The employees are counting on you. Don't let them down."

"I understand, Dad," I replied, my voice firm despite the doubt gnawing at me.

...

As I was busy typing and calculating on my laptop, I heard a knock on my door.

"Good morning, Boss! Sorry to interrupt you, Boss Mikha. I'm Lauren Dyogi, manager of the main shop." Lauren, the right-hand manager of my dad, entered my office.

"Oh, Sir Lauren! Nice to finally meet you. I've heard a lot of great things about you. Thank you for your service ha," I greeted him warmly.

"Ah, wala yon boss, maraming salamat rin po. Napagtapos ko na yung panganay ko dahil sa work," he shyly boasted to me, sharing the good news.

"Ah talaga? Congrats, Sir!" I replied, genuinely happy for him.

"Did you have breakfast na po ba? Pwede po kayo kumuha ng any bread sa shop habang di pa naman open," he offered.

"Ah ganon, sige daan ako. What time ba kayo open?" I asked.

"10 AM po ang open. Iniintay ko lang yung cashier, si Aiah," he replied.

"Ms. Aiah Arceta, yung bagong cashier?" I inquired.

"Yes boss, buti kilala niyo agad?" he asked, puzzled.

"I just reviewed the HR documents last night. I want to know each and everyone before I finally meet them," I explained.

"Ah ganon po ba, sige later po pag dumaan kayo pakilala ko sa inyo," he said before leaving me alone at my desk.

....

I got up from my desk and decided to take Lauren's offer. A quick tour of the shop and a chance to sample the freshly baked bread sounded like a good way to start the day. I made my way down the hallway, the scent of warm bread growing stronger with each step. The shop was still quiet, the calm before the morning rush.

As I entered the shop, I saw Sir Lauren talking to a girl who was drenched from the rain. She must be Ms. Aiah Arceta, our new cashier. Her hair was plastered to her face, and her clothes clung to her, still wet from her commute. Despite her soaked appearance, there was something undeniably captivating about her. I found myself momentarily mesmerized by her striking features and the determination in her eyes as she tried to organize the counter and prepare for the day's work.

I shook off the thought quickly, reminding myself that I was the boss here. I had set a rule for myself not to get involved with my employees, and I intended to stick to it. I had to act cool and professional.

I approached her, my demeanor steady. "So, Ms. Arceta," I addressed her, making her jump a little. She looked up at me, eyes wide with a mix of surprise and nervousness.

"I hope you're ready for some changes around here. We're aiming to streamline the operations," I continued, my voice firm.

"Yes, ma'am," she managed to reply, trying to sound confident despite the intimidation.

I nodded, not quite satisfied but willing to let it go for now. "Good. I'll be observing closely. Don't disappoint me."

With that, I turned and walked away because I felt my heartbeat race and my cheeks burn. "Why do I feel this way?" I muttered to myself, quite puzzled. I shook my head and reminded myself, "I'm not allowed to get involved with anyone in the company. Remember that, Mikha."