CHAPTER 16 - And She Was Nowhere To Be Found

—MIKHA—

"Pre, tama na yan," Colet said as she saw me asking the bartender for another round of whiskey.

"Colet, hayaan mo ko," I said to her, annoyed.

"Pre, lasing ka na," she uttered, concern lacing her voice.

"Kahit anong paglalasing mo, hindi na yon babalik," Colet shouted over the noisy background of the club.

"Anong sabi mo?" I angrily asked her. I grabbed Colet's collar, offended by her words.

Simply because they were true.

"Sige, suntukin mo ako!" she urged me. "Sige, ano!"

"Ayan lang naman kaya mo eh, magpakawasted. Kasi you can't accept the fact that you cannot stand up for Aiah. You cannot go against your dad!" she provoked.

"Bawiin mo yang sinabi mo!" I shouted, raising my fist, ready to punch her.

The urge to punch Colet was strong, maybe because I thought it might ease the pain I was feeling.

But she was right.

Aiah left because of me.

Aiah left because I was incapable.

Aiah left because I couldn't stand up for her.

...

I ended up not punching Colet and walked out of the bar. I grabbed a cigarette from my pocket and started to light it when Colet snatched it from my mouth, breaking it in two and throwing it on the ground.

"What the—?" I reacted, irritated.

"Mikha, ano bang ginagawa mo?" Colet started, her voice filled with frustration.

"Sa kakaganyan mo, mas lalong hindi ka babalikan ni Aiah. Hindi ka naman ganyan nung kayo," she continued.

I was already drunk, feeling half-asleep. "Colet, ano bang kinakatakot mo? Wala naman nga yung tao dito—so di na niya malalaman yon," I slurred, attempting to light another cigarette.

"Bahala ka nga," Colet muttered and sat down on the gravel stairs. I sat beside her.

As I took a drag from my cigarette, I asked Colet, "Ano kaya ginagawa ni Aiah ngayon? Does she think of me?"

Colet looked at me, her expression softening. "For sure, Mikha. But I bet she's making her life so much better so she can be with you, ayiee," Colet joked, trying to lighten the mood.

"She doesn't need to be someone else for me to love her, Colet," I said, my voice tinged with sadness.

"I know, but the world you live in, pare, doesn't," she replied.

"Sucks to be me, huh?" I replied.

"Sinabi mo pa!" she shouted, her voice echoing in the quiet night.

For the next few minutes, we sat in silence, absorbing the alcohol, the smoke, and the noise coming from the club. The night air was chilly, adding to the somber atmosphere.

Colet broke the silence. "Mikha, you know you have to get your act together if you want any chance of getting her back."

I nodded slowly, feeling the weight of her words. "I know, Colet. I just don't know where to start."

"Start by being the person Aiah fell in love with. Show her you're worth fighting for," she advised, her tone serious.

"Easier said than done," I muttered, flicking the ash from my cigarette.

"Yeah, but it's worth it," Colet replied, patting my back.

"But..." I trailed off.

"I wanted to do one last thing, Colet," I said, my voice barely above a whisper.

"What's that?" she asked, looking at me with concern.

"I want to see her one last time. Gusto mo ba kong samahan tonight?" I asked, my eyes pleading.

Colet sighed, then nodded. "Okay, Mikha. Let's go see her."

We both stood up, brushing the gravel off our clothes. As we drove through the city, the familiar streets seemed foreign, My heart pounded in my chest, a mixture of fear and hope. Would she even want to see me?

...

When we reached Aiah's apartment, I hesitated, my hand hovering over the car door handle. Colet placed a reassuring hand on my shoulder.

"You can do this, Mikha," she said softly.

I nodded, taking a deep breath before stepping out of the car. We walked up to her door, and I could feel my nerves getting the best of me. Colet stayed a few steps behind, giving me space.

I knocked on her door, but there was no answer. I tried a couple more times—still nothing.

"Mikha, tara na, baka tulog na yan, hindi na tayo marinig," Colet suggested. It was 3 AM, after all.

"Teka, last na," I bargained. But on my final knock, a neighbor's door opened.

"Sino ba ang hinahanap niyo? Madaling araw na, nangiistorbo pa kayo," a man in his 30s said, irritation clear in his voice.

"Ay, good evening po, pasensya na po, hinahanap lang po namin si Aiah," Colet answered, trying to keep the peace.

"Aiah? Sino yun? Matagal nang bakante yang apartment. Wala pa rin lumilipat mula nung umalis yung dating nandiyan sabi nung landlord," the man replied.

Upon hearing this, I felt a piercing pain that shattered my soul. Aiah had left? Where could she have gone?

I stood there, stunned and unable to process what I had just heard. The realization that Aiah had left without a trace hit me like a tidal wave. She was gone, and I had no idea where she might be.

Colet placed a hand on my shoulder, her voice soft. "Mikha, let's go."

The moment we were inside Colet's car, I burst into tears.

"Colet, she left," I sobbed.

"She really did leave me." And then I broke down completely.