chapter 21 | declaration of war

━━━━━━

━━━━━━

AS THE VIBRANT FESTIVAL begins to wind down with the approach of nightfall, a serene and anticipatory hush settles over the crowd. The sky, painted in hues of deep indigo and scattered with twinkling stars, provides a tranquil backdrop to the flickering lanterns and softly glowing fairy lights that adorn the festival grounds. The laughter and music that filled the air just hours before now mellow into gentle murmurs and the soft strumming of acoustic melodies.

People from all corners of the world, dressed in their traditional attire, gather in groups, their faces illuminated by the warm glow of nearby bonfires

The scent of various cuisines, a testament to the international presence, lingers in the cool evening breeze, adding to the sensory delight of the occasion.

As the anticipation builds, the festival-goers converge towards the grand stage at the heart of the grounds. The buzz of conversation and the excited whispers of the crowd crescendo as the moment everyone has been waiting for draws near.

Elders and dignitaries from various nations take their seats before the stage, their presence a symbol of the collective hatred toward the devils of Paradis.

The Warriors and their young successors make their way through the crowds, their eyes wide with the wonder of the festival and the importance of the impending announcement.

Near the grand stage, where the anticipation is most palpable, Zeke and Colt rest. Zeke sits on a wooden bench, a cigarette in hand, the faint trail of smoke rising and mingling with the cool night air. His posture is relaxed, but his eyes hold the sharpness of someone perpetually aware, "Hey. How've you enjoyed the festival?"

As the group draws near, Colt looks up to see his brother missing, "Wait. Where's Falco?"

"Oh. He said he saw someone he knew in the crowd and ran off to say hi," Udo turns over to Colt.

"Huh. Hope this doesn't make him late," Colt ponders.

"Man. You really can't loosen up without booze, can you?" Porco swings an arm around his shoulder.

"Don't worry, I kept an eye on him," Juliet stands right next to him, attempting to calm his worries, "Look he's already made it back." She points in the direction where Falco is running back from.

They turned to see Falco sprinting towards him. His face was flushed, and he was panting heavily, his chest rising and falling with each labored breath. Despite the fatigue evident in his eyes, there was a spark of determination and urgency, "Mr. Braun!" He came to a stop a few feet away and bent over to catch his breath.

"Where the hell have you been?" Gabi asks abruptly.

"Sir. Do you mind coming with me?" Falco pants.

"Don't think there's time," Reiner's brow furrowed with concern, but he remained composed.

"Ah, you'll be fine," Zeke pulls his sleeve up, checking the watch on his wrist, "The curtains won't go up for a few more minutes."