Chapter Eighteen

"That must be it." Cafos lifted a hand to point to the distant spires, above which flew the red and yellow flags of Melbourne.

"Almost there." Alexis squared her shoulders, straightening her posture from where she marched alongside Stephen. "Maybe a couple hours away?"

"Probably." Stephen agreed. "And then, well... we repeat what we tried in Blackhaven, I guess."

Two more days had passed since the incident at the river. Since then, the weather had been fair, and they hadn't struggled so much to find food. They had continued following the road through the woods until their destination had come into view, the castle that now stretched out before them.

"It's a lot bigger than Blackhaven." Alexis remarked, sounding slightly smug.

"Melbourne is built over a wealth of iron and copper, which is how this province made its fortune," Cafos told her. "While Blackhaven's only import is the black stone that the manor is built from. Melbourne is far more wealthy."

"I can see that." She gave him a suspicious glance. "I thought you'd never left the camp before."

"We haven't," Stephen interjected. "But we- and the other trainees - were taught locations of geographical importance. Melbourne was a major one."

"Huh." Alexis nodded. "Maybe that's why Lady Eydis was invited to see Notch, and Giles wasn't." Stephen cracked a smile.

"Maybe."

It took them a little more than an hour to reach the outer gates, guarded by a pair of armored guards. Stephen couldn't help but wonder if they would mean anything to Herobrine. Cafos stepped forward to speak with them, and it took little convincing for them to let the trio through. Having a set of snow-white wings was far more persuasive than anything that Stephen could have said to them.

Now inside the courtyard, Alexis leaned over to whisper to Stephen as a guard led them up the path to the castle.

"Think she'll talk to us?"

"I don't know." Stephen murmured. "And, if she does, we must be careful what we say. She was attacked by Herobrine, and is likely to be distressed about it."

"Mm..." Alexis nodded, and they went quiet as they approached the castle doors.

The guard leading them rammed the knocker against the sturdy door a few times, then stepped back, waiting until a dark-haired woman dressed in yellow pulled it open. The guard conversed with her quietly for a moment, then turned to leave, and Cafos stepped forward as the woman's gaze turned to him.

"Miss, my name is Cafos." He brought his fist to his chest in a salute. "I and my companions seek an audience with the Lady of Melbourne."

"For what purpose?" The woman asked, her voice betraying no emotion. "I mean no offense, but most of those who come calling on her are..." Her gaze skimmed over them. "Both cleaner and better dressed." Cafos shot a glance back at his companions, then turned back to her.

"Regarding the man who attacked her on the road, miss." He said. "As we have met him as well." The woman's eyes widened slightly at that, and her gaze flicked over to his injured wing.

"Very well." She said at last, taking a step back and beckoning them inside. "I will inform her. Come with me." Cafos gave her a half-bow, then followed, with Stephen and Alexis trailing behind.

The castle was loud, Stephen noted as their little group was led up a wooden staircase. He could hear footsteps echoing from the halls surrounding them, voices that bounced off of the high, stone arches making up the architecture of the castle. It made sense, he supposed, that it would take many people to keep a building of this size in good shape.