Chapter Twenty One

Stephen was sleeping.

Cafos rubbed at the vein-like burns on his arm, shooting another glance at his companion to see if he had woken yet. He hadn't. Cafos was tempted to rouse him, but he stubbornly reminded himself that Stephen would be more use if he wasn't falling over from exhaustion. So, he waited.

After their escape, the boys had gone as far into the woods as they could manage before all but passing out on the forest floor. Cafos had woken first, about an hour ago, and was itching to go after Alexis as soon as possible. She was probably more than halfway to her father's estate by now, and she'd have long arrived by the time they made it there. Cafos was fairly certain that her father wouldn't hurt her, but she would still be miserable in such a place. Even during their short visit, with her friends beside her, Cafos could tell that she had been very uncomfortable.

He pacified himself by reasoning that an hour's difference, or even two, wouldn't make such a difference in the grand scheme of things. At least she would be safe, fed, and sheltered while they came to get her. Miserable was better than dead.

What of Lucius? Cafos cast a glance in the direction of the castle, the imposing towers only just visible through the trees. He wasn't sure if he'd been hit by that... thunder, or whatever Stephen had done. Had Lucius known about that ability? He'd never acknowledged it before. And Stephen had seemed just as shocked as Cafos was when he'd dumped them both in the woods the night before. So, he'd just... manifested a new magical ability out of sheer panic. Cafos shivered, quietly glad that the two of them were on the same side.

Lucius would probably search the area... then, if he didn't find them here, he had to know they would be going after Alexis. They would have to stay ahead of him. Between their lack of experience and Cafos' injured wing, they probably wouldn't be able to beat him in a fight.

Stephen shifted, and Cafos perked up, looking over as his companion blinked and lifted his head.

"Morning." Cafos greeted him. Stephen made a noise and pushed himself up on his arms.

"Wh' time...?"

"About an hour after dawn." Cafos stood up and stretched. "We need to go."

"Right..." Stephen staggered upright. "Which, uh..."

"That way," Cafos pointed in the opposite direction of the castle. "Back to Blackhaven. Alexis is probably there by now."

"Right." Stephen leaned back until his back popped, and he winced as he shifted his weight. Cafos rested a hand on the hilt of his sword as he waited for him to get his bearings. Stephen looked exhausted still, and Cafos could sympathize, but they didn't have time to stand around.

"Think the captain made it out alright?" Stephen murmured.

"Captain? Oh." Cafos was abruptly reminded of Captain Lysander. "...hard to say. Did you hit him with the... thunder?"

"I don't know." Stephen shook his head. "And if I didn't, Lucius may still have..." he trailed off, and Cafos nodded quietly.

"We can hope that he made it out with the Lady." Cafos felt a pang of regret, of urgency, to go back and find out if the people who helped them were safe. That would be far too foolish to attempt, he decided a moment later. Not when they were the reason that those people were in danger in the first place.

"Let's go." Stephen started walking, and Cafos fell into step behind him. He ran his thumb over the pommel of his sword, silently thanking Notch that he'd managed to hold onto it in the chaos. Even if it didn't give him all that much of an advantage in a fight, he felt much better with his weapon at his side.