Chapter Twenty Four

Alexis stumbled as she was shoved into the room, and Cafos snapped, "Careful, she's hurt!"

"Watch your mouth, boy." Lucius fired back. "You're lucky to still be alive. Pray, do not give me reason to change that." Cafos fixed him with a withering look, but could do nothing with his hands bound behind his back. On Lucius' other side, Stephen remained tight-lipped and silent.

The three of them had been swiftly dragged off the island with the portal, brought to a tall, stone building nearby which appeared to be some sort of prison. Alexis and Cafos had been bound, but Stephen was not. He hadn't yet dared to ask why.

"Put those two in a safe place," Lucius ordered, "and see to it that they remain quiet. Stephen," his gaze flicked to meet Stephen's blue ones. "We need to talk." Stephen stared him down as Alexis and Cafos were dragged through the doorway on the other side of the room. The door slammed shut, and they were left alone.

Stephen lifted his chin proudly. "Whatever lies you have to tell me, I'm not interested."

"If it's truth you're after, here's one that you can be sure of." Lucius' tone was clipped. "If you do not listen to me, then your friends will not survive the night." Stephen's jaw tightened.

"Speak, then."

"Good." Lucius sighed, his gaze flickering to the door through which Alexis and Cafos had been taken. "I dearly regret everything that has happened, Stephen. I only wanted to keep you safe." Stephen bit back a bitter retort.

"I was safe," He responded instead. "until you sent Cafos after me."

"You committed treason against Notch by deserting our camp that night." Lucius stated. "If you had gone to him for an audience, you would have been killed." For the first time in many days, uncertainty snaked through Stephen's chest. Was that true?

"You reported my desertion?" He finally asked.

"It is my duty." Lucius' face was sorrowful. "Stephen, you could have been such a force for good - it is greatly disheartening that one such of you, with such a strong sense of justice, could be led astray."

"Which one of us is currently threatening the lives of my friends to force me to have this conversation??" Stephen bit back. "You're right, I do have a strong sense of justice - this is not justice."

"Isn't it?" Lucius arched a brow. "Cafos is a deserter as well, and thus should be executed for treason. The catalyst for the Aether losing such fine warriors? That girl."

"I made my own decisions - both of us did." Stephen snapped. "We chose to leave the Sons because you are a liar and a murderer. Do you know what Cafos told me when I saved his life? He told me that if he returned to you without me - alive or dead - that you would kill him. For failure. How is that justice?!"

"To allow one such as you, one who had been raised and trained to be as great as the greatest valkyries, to escape uninhibited into the world? Governed by your whims and attachments?" Lucius scoffed. "Justice is not 'mercy for those you happen to like'. There is a much bigger picture beyond your petty friendships. I don't want to kill you, Stephen." He pressed on before Stephen could speak. "But you leave me little choice." Stephen's mouth opened, then shut, a hollow ache in his chest.

"I thought you cared for me." He finally choked out. "I thought-" he forced a laugh. "I always thought of you as - as a father, almost."

"Oh, Stephen." The sympathy in Lucius' voice was carefully measured. "I did care for you. I do. That is why I wish to give you this chance - renounce your actions, come back to us, back to your family, and I will do my best to have the charges against you dropped."