Chapter Twenty Nine

Herobrine stood up, rubbing at his wrists. "I'm going to find Lucius."

"Are you sure that's a good idea??" Cafos protested. "He has the power of Notch."

"And?" Herobrine said coldly. "I've already bested Notch in battle today."

"Maybe so, but you can't claim to be at full strength." Notch told him. He had the little blue sprite cupped in his hands, standing tall despite the bolt still buried in the back of his chestplate. "And if you lose, you will not be given a second chance."

"Then I won't lose."

"Cafos, can you fly?" Stephen asked, unlocking Alexis's cuffs and helping her to her feet. Cafos flapped his wings experimentally.

"Think so. I could a few hours ago."

"Then take Alexis to safety." Stephen ordered. "I'm going with my father."

"Stephen, no." Herobrine rebuked him. "Go with your friends. I will deal with this Lucius."

"You're hurt." Stephen protested. "And like you said, you've already fought Notch today. We stand a much greater chance together."

"I have been killing valkyries for years," Herobrine said coldly, ignoring the way that Cafos flinched at the declaration. "Notch's power or otherwise, I do not think he will give me much trouble."

"You don't know Lucius like I do," Stephen countered. "He's ruthless and manipulative, he fights dirty."

"And he raised you, Stephen, which is all the more reason you shouldn't be involved."

"I- yes, but he's tried to kill my best friend. Twice." Stephen pointed out. "I'm not- I don't care for him still, if that's what you're worried about."

"I'm worried about losing you, Stephen, I just got you back!" Herobrine snapped, and Stephen was taken aback by the aggression in his voice. "I- I've spent the last eight years thinking you were dead, if I lost you now-"

"Well I can't lose you either!" Stephen shot back. "And if Lucius kills you, what's to stop him from going after me next?? We might as well join forces and take him down together."

"No." Herobrine's tone left no room for argument. "Go with your friends, take Notch with you. Better if you remain out of the way."

"Gentlemen," Notch cut in as Stephen opened his mouth to argue back. "It would serve all of us to agree on a course of action. Herobrine, your son can teleport. If he wants to face Lucius, there's nothing you can do to stop him." Herobrine turned a glare in his direction, and Stephen took advantage of the silence to jump in.

"If you could beat Notch on your own, then together Lucius won't stand a chance." He insisted. "Like you said, he raised me- I'm a competent fighter. Let me help you." Herobrine tightened his jaw, studying his earnest face for a few moments before he spoke.

"Very well." He said. "Only if you keep yourself out of danger as much as possible."

"Actually, I had a better idea." Notch chimed in, and the spirit cupped in his hands trilled as Stephen and Herobrine turned to look at him again. "Herobrine, you may not like it, but I believe Stephen should go and face Lucius on his own."

~~

"Okay," Cafos said, hoisting Alexis up in his arms. "Wrap your arms around my neck and hold on tight."

"Are you sure this is a good idea??" Alexis protested as she did so. "Sure you're not going to fall?"

"I'm sure." Cafos grinned at her, aware that the blood on his face probably made the gesture less than reassuring. "We don't have to go far- just to the next island over. Then all we have to do is wait for Stephen to give us the all clear."