Chapter Eight: shattered

----------------------------------------------------------
"Nothing's gonna hurt you, baby
As long as you're with me, you'll be just fine
Nothing's gonna hurt you, baby
Nothing's gonna take you from my side"

Nothing's Gonna Hurt You Baby - Cigarettes After Sex
---------------------------------------------------------

Nothing's Gonna Hurt You Baby - Cigarettes After Sex---------------------------------------------------------

Chapter Eight:

< James >

"Captain, I'm all for heading back to port early. I don't want to risk being stuck on this boat in a storm. My father told me to stay out of trouble this trip, and it seems I'm incapable of doing that, especially when it comes to the company I keep." I joked.

"Well thank goodness for Miss Calloway or we would've never made it into deep water. I think Everly has always been a great influence on you." He laughed. The captain was an old family friend and I couldn't help but nod in agreement at his statement. I decided to head back to the cabin to grab my princess for dinner.

"James.." Ellie's shrill voice brought me off course. I turned to face her, rolling my eyes before she even uttered another word.

"What Ellie..." I said back to her in the most uninterested tone.

"I wanted to apologize for earlier..." she mumbled. An apology from the queen of mean? It was too shocking to believe. If only I had realized what she was truly up to in that moment.

"What's the ulterior motive Ellie?" I scowled back at her.

"James, come on! Can't I just be nice for once. I didn't mean to cause a rift between you and Everly." She tried not to smile as she stared at me.

"You didn't...Evie and I are just fine. In fact...I have to go get her for dinner now." I said about to turn back towards the steps.

"James.." Ellie placed her hand on my shoulder.

"Ellie, whatever you're trying to do...once again. It's not going to work." I said freeing myself from her. I was about to head upstairs when I heard Lydia and Cyril on the top deck. She sounded hysterical.

"Lyd!" I screamed running up to her. She was pointing out at the water.

"James... it's Everly! She's in the water! She fell overboard!" Lydia's screams were bloodcurdling as I looked out at the sea. She pointed to the light reflecting off Everly's bracelet.

"Fuck." I froze for a moment, considering diving overboard right then and there. But if she was hurt, swimming out wouldn't help. "Captain!" I yelled, rushing into the control room. "Everly's fallen overboard! Do you have a lifeboat? I have to go after her." I was shaking frantically as I spoke.