~ Prologue~

The sound of clinking and clanging echoed in Archen's ears as he disposed of the glass bottles into the designated bin.

"Ugh...haahhh..." he sighed heavily, feeling exhausted.

He looked up, gazing at the sky. The bright light of the moon illuminated the night sky, with only a few stars visible amidst the city lights.

Yes, this was city life- where the abundance of artificial lights drowned out the beauty of the stars.

A creak interrupted his thoughts as the door beside the trash bin opened, and someone stepped out.

"Oh, Archen, still here?" It was Book, the restaurant manager, where Archen worked.

"Just about to head home, phi, just need to grab something inside," Archen replied.

"Alright, take care then," Book said as he walked away before stopping abruptly. "Oh, I already transferred your salary naa."

"Yes,phi, I received it. Thank you," Archen replied.

"Okay, then, take care and don't be late. Don't want you to miss the MRT and have to take a taxi, the taxi is hella expensive these day" Book said before walking off again.

"Yes, sir, you too, take care"

"Oui..." Book replied from a distance.

Archen sighed for the second time, then walked into the break room. He grabbed his backpack and slung it over his shoulder before locking the door and heading out.

The journey from the restaurant to the MRT station felt longer than it actually was when it actually just took a mere 10 minutes. His mind wandered aimlessly.

Tonight, he will be turning a year older.

Yes, tomorrow is his birthday. But the day felt empty. The daily routine felt increasingly burdensome. Balancing studies with work at night was taking a toll on his strong physique.

"Should I just quit... argh....?" he thought.

His mother had objected to him working while studying. She feared he would tire himself out. But like any young person, especially as an Alpha, he had defied her. He believed that gaining work experience was invaluable. His mother relented upon hearing his reasoning.

But today, he felt like eating his own words. Working as a kitchen assistant at the restaurant was exhausting enough. Adding to that is his increasing workload from classes, and now, he felt like giving up.

The sound of a message arriving on his phone interrupted his thoughts as he stepped onto the MRT, which is now running on its final schedule. He slid the screen of his phone to check the message - it was from his younger sister.

 He slid the screen of his phone to check the message - it was from his younger sister