Chapter 2: Erchantia and her

Archen was jolted awake as he felt droplets of water splashing onto his face. He struggled to open his eyes, the occasional sunlight piercing through the tall trees hitting his face as his eyes fluttered open. Blinding him.

His body ached painfully, as if he had just been dragged across a terrain littered with stones and roots. His gaze darted around, the scenery shifting sporadically. The trees he had seen when he first opened his eyes now seemed to be receding further into the distance. Like he's moving?

Moving?

His eyes widened spontaneously, shifting his gaze forward.

His right foot was lifted, and a slender woman with blonde hair cascading over her shoulders was pulling him, exerting all her might. The woman appear to be working so hard dragging him as he noticed her pausing several times, panting with exhaustion.

Archen was confused. Who? Mae? But Mae's hair wasn't blonde.

"ARGHHH!" he screamed as his head collided with a rather large tree root. His scream caused the woman pulling him to stop abruptly and turn towards him.

"Oh, you're awake. Good." Her voice was soft, and her breath was audible and labored.

His foot, which the woman had been using to drag him, was now placed on the ground.

"Are you okay? Do you need water?" She offered a copper cup filled with water.

Archen slowly rose, rubbing his throbbing head where he had hit the root.

"Ouch..." he said, feeling a bump forming.

But in an instant, he realized something.

Roots? Were there roots at home? Archen spontaneously looked around. Rows of towering trees and thick bushes greeted him.

Archen stood up abruptly, startled by his sight.

"WHAT THE HELL?" he yelled.

Where am I? A forest? Archen paced back and forth.

He remembered being at home, scrolling through his social media in his bedroom, but now he found himself in an unfamiliar place. A forest, it seemed.

Archen continued pacing in confusion when the woman spoke to him again.

"Are you okay?" she asked.

Archen jumped slightly at the sound, causing his unsupported foot to land on a broken branch, one of which pierced through his foot.

"OUCH...OUCH...DAMN IT!" Archen hopped around in pain on one foot.

"Calm down, you will aggravate your injury," the woman advised.

"Let me have a look," she said, squatting down to examine Archen's injury.

Archen stopped in silence.

"Try to sit down for a moment," the woman suggested, and Archen complied. He sat on a nearby tree stump while the woman lifted his foot slightly to inspect it.

She pulled out a slightly worn piece of cloth and used it to wrap Archen's foot.

Archen remained silent, still trying to process his current situation.

Where am I? Is this a dream? Please let it be a dream.

Yes, a dream. It must be a dream. He tried nodding to himself with certainty, but the pain in his head, foot, and back seemed to contradict his belief. Archen bit his lip.

"Okay, for now, let's bandage this up. Apply some ointment later," the woman said as she finished bandaging his wound and stood up to face him.

Archen stopped his daze and used the time to observe the woman in front of him.