Chapter 5: The Shoes

## Celestial Palace ##

KNOCK... KNOCK.

De Dunkerque turned to look at the entrance as the knocking started.

"Come in" he commanded.

His chief commander, aka his assistant, aka childhood friend, Piere Naren, stepped in quickly.

"Found them?" he asked impatiently.

"Pardon your highness, not yet."

De Dunkerque sighed.

"Your Highness, we have interrogated all the attendants accompanying the noble families who attended last night, but we have yet to find the attendant you seek, Your Highness."

"Useless."

Harsh. As always.

"I'm sorry, Your Highness," Naren said, lowering his head.

De Dunkerque turned his face away, staring at the object in front of him. A shoe. Only one.

Yes, before him was a single shoe, left behind by the young man who had trespassed into the forbidden area of the palace last night.

De Dunkerque gritted his teeth harshly.

How dare that young man disobey his order to stay put.

'How dare you, peasant.'

When he returned after meeting with King Edmund, the man he had encountered was already gone from the palace grounds.

Although he had dispatched Naren to search for the mysterious young man, all they had retrieved was the single shoe that De Dunkerque believed had come off when the young man fell from the Peach tree after being shot at.

De Dunkerque flopped down onto the soft sofa in his room. He glared sharply at Naren.

"What are you waiting for? Go and search again. Bring him here, ALIVE," he added.

"Yes, Your Highness, but pardon me, Your Highness, may I..." Naren didn't finish his sentence.

De Dunkerque raised an eyebrow. "What?"

"May I request, Your Highness, that you give me the shoe?"

De Dunkerque squinted his eyes.

"For?"

"We could take it and search together with the glass slipper worn by that beautiful girl last night."

"Last night? Glass slipper?" De Dunkerque vaguely tried to recall the girl's face.

"Oh, her."

The girl who comes and causes a lot of commotion last night.

However, his mind was still disturbed by his frustration that the young man he sought had not yet been found.

"I heard a task force has been established in Erchantia to find that girl throughout Erchantia, so we could also search for the young man you're looking for, Your Highness," Naren continued.

De Dunkerque pursed his red lips.

"Waste of time."

"Can you really search one by one like that? You do know all the girls in Erchantia were there last night right? Do you think you'll find her? Erchantia is not that small. Useless! Ethan is stupid."

"They just wanted to at least try all the possibilities because surely the girl is in Erchantia."

'Haaahhh' Naren could only sigh heavily. His friend, who is his superior, was indeed a stubborn man.