Chapter 4 : The Prince at Midnight

For nearly two hours, Archen paced back and forth in the designated waiting area for attendants who were supposed to bring guests to the banquet.

The clock in the tower displayed 10:50 p.m., still a while before Cinderella needed to depart.

Archen grew bored. The conversations of some other attendants with the guests failed to capture his interest.

Unwilling to wait there any longer, he stepped out to search for Bruno and Major, who had initially been reluctant to join him in the waiting room.

Archen chuckled upon finding Bruno sitting by the door, patiently waiting, and Major crouching, pulling at the grass in the grassy area nearby. Well, one couldn't blame them; they were animals, after all.

He offered a piece of meat he had taken from the waiting room earlier to Bruno, who eagerly devoured it.

"Take it easy, Bruno," he directed.

He stood up. Stretching his back a little.

"Erghh... bored..."

He slowly walked away, leaving the two animals engrossed in their activities.

The bright moonlight, decorative lights, and water fountains adorning the palace tonight seemed very captivating to him.

Archen strolled, enjoying the sight of the water fountains from the large pond in the palace courtyard, until his steps halted upon hearing music and the sound of revelry.

"Oh, it's starting now, the balls." Archen tried to peek over, but the elevated position of the palace made it difficult for him to see.

Archen pursed his lips. "I want to see it too."

He longed for it. To witness firsthand the grand celebration that was said to be the biggest in the kingdom's history, the event that would change Cinderella's life, as he had read in the book.

In his world, dance parties were only ever found in nightclubs. Places he didn't particularly fancy.

Archen continued walking, trying to find a suitable spot to peek into the area of the bustling party.

Until, unconsciously, he found himself in a beautiful flower garden.

"Ahhaa... there it is," Archen smiled with delight. The Peach tree next to the high wall caught his attention.

In a matter of moments, with agility, Archen found himself among the low branches of the tree. Now his view was unobstructed.

"La Polonaise," the song that added to the festivity of the gathering, was playing. Some guests danced joyously while others enjoyed delicious dishes while relishing the music.

"Oh, has Cinderella finished dancing with the Prince?" Archen wondered to himself, feeling a bit saddened for missing out on that historic event.

He heard a woman's voice speaking loudly nearby. Archen grimaced. Drizella. Wherever she went, she remained annoying.

"Oh, where is Cinderella? She hasn't been seen for a while..."

"She went somewhere with the Prince? I don't even see the prin... — "

ZUPP...!! CKK...!!

A long, silent, dark shadow swiftly passed over him, accompanied by a gust of wind brushing across his face.

Archen was stunned.

'What just...'

Quickly, his eyes turned towards the object that passed by and are now stuck on a branch next to his face.