Arrival

Watching terrifier 2 while writing this might get .....off topic

Ill also try to write longer chapters....maybe

Also if like someone is actually reading this pls comment cause im confused on the views i feel like theyre all me idk how wattpad counts these

Lucy had spent half a fortnight ensconced within the confines of the modest carriage, permitted to alight only occasionally to stretch her weary legs. Her parents had insisted she don her finest attire for the impending introduction to her aunt and uncle. Consequently, Lucy found herself extremely uncomfortable and itchy beneath the heavy, layered garments. Though her dress was undeniably outmoded and scarcely fashionable by London standards, it was the best her family possessed. It had been inherited from her mother, a relic from days before the great famine had ravaged Ireland.

Despite the widespread destitution, Lucy's family was relatively well-off, thanks to her father's position as a brigadier general in the army. Yet, even with their relative comfort, the grim reality of the famine loomed ever-present. Lucy resolved to do whatever was necessary to secure her family's happiness.

The carriage driver was a taciturn fellow, much to her disappointment. Lucy craved some idle conversation to alleviate the tedium of the journey.

"Is it much farther?" she inquired.

"No, Miss, only a few hours more," he replied curtly.

"Thank you," Lucy murmured, attempting to quell the nervous flutter in her stomach. Unable to discern whether it was a foreboding or an anticipatory sensation, she decided to take another nap to preserve her strength for the impending introduction to her aunt.

The carriage eventually came to a rattling halt, and Lucy was abruptly awakened by the jostling.

"We have arrived, Miss. Please remain here while I summon the servants," the driver instructed before disappearing from view.

Lucy seized the opportunity to peek out from behind the curtain. Her breath caught at the sight of her new abode. The mansion was an imposing structure of pale stone, adorned with intricate carvings and surrounded by meticulously maintained gardens. Ivy climbed the walls, and tall, elegant windows reflected the late afternoon sun. The grand entrance, with its massive wooden doors and a set of wide stone steps, led up to a balcony supported by ornate pillars.

After a few minutes, the door opened, and Lucy took a deep breath of the fresh "home" air. However, her enjoyment was short-lived as she noticed about twenty servants standing in a line on the stairs leading up to the main entrance. At the top of the stairs stood a well-dressed woman in her mid-thirties with a soft smile on her lips—this must be Lucy's aunt.

Her aunt, Lady Carmilla, was a vision of refined elegance. She wore a dress of rich burgundy velvet, adorned with delicate lace and intricate embroidery. Her dark hair was styled in an elaborate coiffure, with a few loose curls framing her face. Her eyes were a striking shade of green, sparkling with warmth and intelligence. Despite her noble bearing, there was a kindness in her expression that immediately put Lucy at ease.

"Welcome, my dear niece! I trust your journey was tolerable? We have been eagerly anticipating your arrival!" Lady Carmilla exclaimed.

Lucy assumed this was her cue to approach the entrance. As she walked, she noticed all the servants bow deeply. At the top of the stairs, she was greeted by a warm embrace. "Oh, how you have grown! I have not seen you since you were but four years old!"

"Yes, Aunt Carmilla. Times have been hard. I wish I had spent more time with you," Lucy replied.

"Now, now, my girl, we have plenty of time to make amends for lost moments. Some might even say your aunt is hindering you from finding a suitor because I shall occupy so much of your time," Carmilla said with a mischievous wink.

Lucy couldn't suppress a smirk. She wasn't too keen on being here solely to find a husband. Perhaps she might even make some friends.

"Once you have settled in and the servants have shown you around, we shall attend your first-ever ball in London!" Lady Carmilla declared.

Lucy couldn't hide her excitement. The prospect of dancing and idle chatter in a magnificent setting was everything she needed.

"We shall depart at six sharp, so you have time to rest. Allow me to introduce you to your maid, Adeline, who will escort you to your chambers and show you the essential rooms. The remainder of the house I wish to show you personally!" Lady Carmilla added with a kind smile and wave before disappearing into the depths of the enormous mansion.

Lucy sighed with relief but felt a twinge of disappointment at not meeting her uncle yet. She was sure that meeting would come soon enough.

Turning her attention to Adeline, Lucy found her to be a rather stout and solidly built young woman around her age, with rosy, chubby cheeks that immediately endeared her to Lucy. Adeline had warm brown eyes that twinkled with kindness and a radiant smile that revealed dimples in her cheeks. Her brown hair was neatly tied back in a simple bun, and she wore a plain but tidy maid's uniform.

"So far, this is not too disagreeable," Lucy thought, following Adeline into the mansion.

Adeline led her through the grand halls, pointing out the essential rooms. The mansion was even more impressive inside, with high ceilings adorned with elaborate frescoes, crystal chandeliers that sparkled like constellations, and walls lined with portraits of stern-looking ancestors. The floors were polished to a mirror-like sheen, and the scent of fresh flowers filled the air.

As they reached Lucy's chambers, Adeline opened the door to reveal a spacious room with a large canopy bed draped in rich silks, a writing desk carved with intricate patterns, and a window overlooking the expansive gardens. The room was decorated in soft, calming colors, with a plush carpet underfoot and a cozy fireplace ready to be lit.

"Here we are, Miss Lucy. If you need anything, please do not hesitate to summon me," Adeline said with another warm smile.

"Thank you, Adeline," Lucy replied, feeling genuinely grateful for the maid's kindness.

Left alone in her new room, Lucy sat on the edge of the bed, her thoughts racing. The ball, the new environment, the possibility of making friends—all of it was overwhelming yet exciting. She knew her life was about to change dramatically.