Curiousity

Lucy awoke late the next day, her body languid from the exertions of the previous day. The soft light of morning filtered through the heavy drapes, casting a gentle glow upon the ornately furnished chamber. The intricately woven patterns of the rug, the rich, dark wood of the furniture, and the delicate lace of the curtains created an atmosphere of quiet opulence.

Yesterday had been a day of many firsts for Lucy. She had finally arrived at her new home, met her aunt Carmilla and the household staff, and explored the vast estate. The highlight, however, had been the grand ball. She had made a promise to Lady Arden, the gracious hostess, to call upon one another in the coming week. Lady Arden had assured her that she, alongside Aunt Carmilla, would guide Lucy toward happiness.

Despite the lack of other significant connections, Lucy found solace in the company of her aunt and Lady Arden. The men she encountered, however, had been a disappointment. They greeted her with condescending amusement, making light of her manner of speech. Lucy felt as if she were an exotic creature, evoking her empathy for animals kept for mere entertainment. She believed they, too, possessed distinct personalities deserving of more than just being gawked at.

Clad still in her nightgown, Lucy called for Adeline to assist her in preparing for the day. She had not yet grown accustomed to the noble lifestyle, nor did she know where her belongings were or what constituted appropriate day wear. Her aunt and uncle had generously gifted her many new dresses, yet the unfamiliar silks and layers left her feeling uneasy. Adeline's presence was thus a great comfort.

Adeline entered the room with a quiet grace, her demeanor exuding a sense of calm. The first few minutes passed in a companionable silence. Although Lucy had known Adeline for only a day, she already felt a sense of ease around her. Adeline, with practiced hands, began by gently brushing Lucy's ebony hair, each stroke of the brush adding a luster to the dark tresses.

Breaking the silence, Adeline inquired, "How did you find the evening's festivities, Miss Lucy? We did not have the opportunity to converse upon your return."

Lucy responded thoughtfully, "Thank you, Adeline, for your kind inquiry. It was rather... novel. I realized I was somewhat naive regarding this new life. Nonetheless, I formed a meaningful connection with Lady Arden, our gracious hostess. I would have been even more at ease had you been able to accompany me."

As Adeline continued to work on Lucy's hair, a soft giggle escaped her lips. "That is exceedingly kind of you, Miss, but I am afraid such a thing would never be possible."

Both women laughed, and Lucy's heart warmed with affection. It was a moment that allowed her to forget the previous evening's unpleasantness.

"And you have forged a friendship with Lady Arden? That is quite an achievement, you know. She is exceedingly popular in society, as I am sure your aunt has mentioned, but she is quite selective in her associations."

Lucy pondered this, recalling Lady Arden's poised and direct demeanor, yet also her kindness. She accepted the compliment with a smile. Adeline, moving on, selected a gown of rich burgundy satin for Lucy, its intricate lace and embroidery befitting the elegance of the day.

"How did you find the entertainment? I heard that Mr. Lucien performed. What was your opinion of him? He is truly a prodigious talent, is he not?" Adeline asked, then quickly apologized, "Forgive my impertinence, Miss. It was not my place to speak so freely."

Lucy reassured her, "Pray, do not trouble yourself, Adeline. You could never offend me. Indeed, I am rather glad you speak to me with such candor. It puts me much more at ease. Please, continue."

Adeline nodded, murmuring her thanks, and began to help Lucy into the gown. The luxurious fabric felt cool against her skin, and Adeline's hands were gentle as she guided Lucy's arms into the sleeves and laced the bodice.