The Second Ball

I'm not trying to write Lucy as dumb or anything btw. She may be a bit naive about her surroundings but i'm obviously using that to let some of the other characters explain stuff about this world. this won't always be the case obviously. it's just a really easy way to give you guys info without just straight up giving you an exposition dump. but if you'd prefer that let me know.
i'd say her being curious also plays into this whole thing! i'm trying to balance it out. but as soon as you guys think i'm dumbing her down too much let me know.

also i wish i could write more about her interest in biology lmfao. i wanted to give her smth unique not something like her being obsessed w novels. which is fine cause i am obsessed w them and you are probably as well. but from my experience these main girlies tend to have the same personalities.
unfortunately im not well versed on the subject of biology. i'm literally a law student.
but bare w me maybe ill do some research ab scientists of her time!
i also want to clarify that not everything context wise is my original idea. obviously i've got the dream thing from dracula and carmilla.
i've also named a couple of characters after gothic novel protagonists comment it u find them hihihi

i'm starting to feel like i should've named lucien dorian.

Despite the unnerving reality of a rather important figure of society going missing, the world seemed to move on with remarkable swiftness. Lucy was indeed saddened by the loss of the first friend she had made in London, yet she scolded herself for such selfishness in the face of a grave situation.

However, Lady Arden's absence did not long preoccupy her thoughts, for the captivating presence of Carmilla absorbed much of her attention. Over the past week, the two had spent their days exploring the vast estate, with Carmilla revealing every secret passage and hidden treasure the grand house had to offer. Even her typically aloof uncle had engaged her in several pleasant conversations throughout the week.

Carmilla, alongside her husband James, had also taken it upon themselves to instruct Lucy on the finer points of social navigation—how to appear more agreeable to potential suitors and forge connections with influential ladies at the numerous balls. Lucy found herself pleasantly surprised by her uncle's willingness to assist, though she suspected he was eager to see her married off and no longer his responsibility.

Feeling thoroughly prepared for the ball that evening, Lucy resolved to secure as many promising suitors as possible, hoping also to make some friends along the way. She instructed her maid, Adeline, to transform her into a vision of seductive yet innocent nobility.

Her gown was to be a deep, blood-red masterpiece, adorned with intricate embroidery of golden thread and shimmering sequins that would catch and reflect the light of the chandeliers, making her appear almost otherworldly. The dress featured a daringly low neckline, bordered with delicate lace, and a cinched waist that flared out into a voluminous skirt, the hem of which was adorned with layers of tulle and satin. Tiny, hand-sewn crystals were scattered across the fabric, twinkling like stars against the rich crimson.

Adeline meticulously styled Lucy's ebony hair, transforming her tresses into a cascade of soft, flowing waves that tumbled down her back, reminiscent of a dark, shimmering waterfall. The front sections were pulled back and secured with an ornate comb studded with rubies and pearls, revealing her delicate features. A few tendrils were left to frame her face, softening her look and adding a touch of romantic elegance.

Her makeup was applied with an artist's precision to enhance her natural beauty. A touch of rouge accentuated her chubby cheeks, giving her an innocent flush, while kohl was used to define her chocolate-brown eyes, making them appear larger and more expressive. Her full lips were painted a soft, inviting rose, completing the look of delicate allure. Her dark, tanned skin glowed with a healthy radiance, a perfect canvas that spoke of both sensuality and purity.