Chapter 20

Beatrice's POV

Two weeks later...

And they're off!

I grab hold of the railing excitedly as my eyes follow Bentley and Pug, zooming down the horse track. Snow's pretty mane bounces with each of her powerful steps as she kicks up dirt and jumps over the hurdles.

"Woooo!" Tilly screams from next to me.

"Get it, Mr. Langston! Beat that bearded hulk!" Phoebe echoes.

"Phoebe!"

"What? It's a compliment. I like bearded men." She eyes the men on the track with a heated look on her face. "I just got dumped and I need myself a little fixer-upper."

"And you choose Pug?" Tilly's nose wrinkles in disgust. "The horseman?"

Phoebe wiggles her eyebrows. "Don't judge. Maybe he and the horse share something in common."

Tilly chokes on the cherry she's nibbling.

I look over at them in confusion.

Tilly sees my look and waves her hand dismissively. "Don't let us ruin your mind, Bea. Sal might skin us."

Phoebe scuffs. "She's not a child. You guys shelter her too much. I'm talking about a horse dick. Maybe Pug is big."

My eyes widen in realization, and I can't help but laugh. "Why are you imagining that?"

Phoebe sighs and leans her elbow on the railing, her eyes trailing behind the two men whimsically. "A girl can dream, can't she? I heard Trista talking about their night together, and she said she wanted to jump onto it again. That's a sign that it's big, right?"

"Hmm," I hum as I turn my eyes back to the race.

Snow pulls out in front of Pug and his horse as she gets further and further down the track. I glance at Bentley as he grips the reins, his arms flexing to show the muscle strength that goes into leading Snow.

Then my eyes drift to Pug. He's trying to keep up with Bentley, but his stead is losing speed the further the race drags on.

I look at his build, which is thicker than Bentley's, and purse my lips. "Maybe he is big. He has muscles."

"Right?" Phoebe pops a cherry into her mouth, not hiding the fact that she, of course, stole from the cherry tree again.

Pug is right.

They are shameless cherry-pickers.

Tilly giggles. "Don't let Mr. Langston hear that, Bea. He won't like that you're checking out other men."

"Me?" I point at myself and shake my head. "I'm just observing for Phoebe's sake."

Phoebe laughs and throws a hand over my shoulder. "You see, Tills? Bea's got my back."

Tilly rolls her eyes. "You two..."

We turn our attention back to the race just as Bentley passes the finish line.

"Yeah! Beat that sucker!" Phoebe screams excitedly and flares her arms.

"Why are you so excited that he lost?" Tilly asks her in confusion.

I lean over and explain. "They made a bet that if Pug loses, he owes Phoebe a favor."

Tilly sighs. "The poor guy doesn't know what he's getting into."

Phoebe licks her lips. "Hopefully, something tight."

"Gross," Tilly shoves her friend lightly.

Phoebe cackles and starts walking over as Pug crosses the finish line.