Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Brandon: How many times did I attempt to strike a conversation with Dahlia but I never even get a reply, not even once. I never saw her online on Facebook either. Maybe, she doesn't really open her accounts that much.

I also know that she doesn't like me. She likes someone else. I heard she dated Timothy Rosales last year but they broke before graduation so it was short-lived.

There's no way she will like me. However, I cannot force myself not to like her. I wish. Stupid infatuation. I still see her around the campus. She's always with Karen.

I do have a girlfriend now. Aria confesses that she likes me. She asked me if I have a girlfriend and I said I do not have one but I have a crush. She insists on being my girlfriend and that it's impossible for me to be able to date someone from Amber, they are the star section for a reason, because they are unreachable like the stars. I believed her that I can't reach someone like Dahlia. However, I don't share the belief that I should date her instead...it's just that I do not know how to refuse someone without hurting their feelings. I didn't want to hurt Aria's feelings so I agreed to be her boyfriend.

We broke up a week later.

I only heard news about Dahlia when the overall Top 20 was announced on stage during flag retreat. They are called out on stage one by one from top 20 to top 1 and they will be presented certificates. Dahlia is always the last one to receive the certificate as she is always the top 1.

For the last grading period announcement of overall top 20 and the last flag retreat for this school year, I am confused as everyone when Dahlia Mari Santos is called as the overall Top 2 and Timothy Rosales as this year's overall top 1.

And everyone who graduated from the same elementary school as the two of them knew that this has never happened before.

It is summer vacation, and she replied to my message for the first time.         

Dahlia: I am bored. It is the only reason I replied to Brandon and maybe, I like the attention he's giving me. It's obvious that he likes me; he told everyone that in elementary.

Me:
I'm not always online. What's your number? Let's text.

It is true that I am not always online. I do not like being connected to the internet all the time, especially when I am reading my books. I can't focus. Karen doesn't have a load nor internet connection to constantly communicate with me during summer vacation. She doesn't have money or allowance during summer. She said her mom only gave her allowances during school days. She hasn't saved anything so it's impossible for us to communicate all the time. However, there are special occasions when her mom gives her money. I am waiting for that.

I am glad that I can talk to Brandon or else I'm going to go insane.

He used to tell me that he's not a night owl but he still manages to reply to my text messages even when it's late, as in up to 2 am. He's fun to talk to. He never ran out of topics and I'm always interested. He talks about his friends, most of the time, and his hobbies. He listens to Taylor Swift too, and he's willing to listen to the songs I like.

It would take me long hours to reply when I get into the book I'm reading or when I get occupied with other stuff but it would take Brandon a few minutes to reply to me.

One night, he told me that he's already sleepy but whenever we bid each other goodnight, I always think of another joke to tease him about and then the topic will conspire again into a long one. He bids me another good night, but he will still talk to me. It's like he never really wanted us to stop talking but his body said otherwise. I'll know that he's asleep when it hits 2 am and he no longer replies.

He's not the only person who talks to me though. My guy classmate, Anton, texts me every now and then, but not as persistent as Brandon. I don't want to be assuming a person feelings toward me, but Anton is obviously flirting with me. On the other hand, Brandon is not voicing his feelings which I like. He is like another friend I'm close with.

I would lie if I say I didn't like the attention I'm getting. It makes me feel wanted. It makes me forget how nobody wants me in this house. How my mother...

I know Brandon's reason as to why he is talking to me. He wants me to see him as a man. He likes me. And maybe, when I specifically told him that I do not share his feelings, he'll leave me alone. Even though I know his intentions and that he didn't befriend me for a sincere and genuine friendship...I never confide with anyone as much as I do to him. I don't want to lose him.