Chapter 8

Chapter 8

Dahlia: I catch myself where I am constantly excused from my classes due to the competitions I participate in: MTAP where we won 3rd for regional, Regional Journalism where I won 2nd so I can't advance to National, only the 1st can, chess, and now I'm representing Platinum for the Ms. United Nations.

Now that MTAP for this school year is finished, I rarely see Timothy. His classroom is on the top of ours where we are on the third floor and they are on 4th. We're not on the same floor so I only see him during flag retreat.

There's no competitions during the United Nations that we can both participate in. I am not allowed to participate in Flag Identification since I used to compete. Timothy participated though and he won.

I get excited for the Math month in November for nothing. MTAP participants are not allowed to join Mathira Matibay. It is a math quiz bee for everyone. It is divided per year though, so there are a total of 4 competitions from freshmen to seniors. I bargain to join the senior's section but the teachers refuse. They don't even have a competition dedicated to us. So cruel.

I am the only person left in Platinum. Everyone joins because of the plus points even teachers from the social studies faculty are in the corridors to watch the event. It is exciting. There could be a prodigy hidden among the students, the possibilities are endless now since those who are good in the subject are not joining.

The students are in the quadrangle. They are lined up according to their sections.

I went upstairs since I know that Timothy and Kirsten will be there.

"Ms. Jose told us to try to solve the problems too so we can practice for next school year," Kirsten says to me the moment she sees me.

Timothy is holding a pen and notebook, getting ready to solve the problems too. They are both sitting on the ground. I sit beside Kirsten.

"You want paper? I have an extra ballpen too."

I said no.

She comes close. I can feel her skin and some of her hair on my face, "That's why Timothy hates you."

I raise my eyebrow, "What is it? What did I do?"

"You are our team's ace in MTAP, yet...you're like that."

"Like what?"

"We work extra hard to be good at academics. We both have shared sacrifices. I sacrifice my time to play and even sleep to study. I have a tutor at home. Timothy gave up hanging out with his friends and enjoying Christmas, summer, and even just the 30-minute break every day. How about you? What did you sacrifice to be who you are? You're effortlessly intelligent. You won't understand. You are annoying. Add the fact that you're in Section 2," She paused to show her annoyance, "We're always threatened by you because we know, even the teachers obviously know, and I know you know that you can beat us if you want. You intentionally failed your exams, that's why you're in Platinum. How annoying. So arrogant."

The competition starts so she stops talking to me. When she finishes solving, she adds, "I hope that you continue what you're doing...acting dumb. I want to graduate as a Salutatorian, and be the best in English."

"What will I get by doing favors for you, Kirsten?"

Brandon: The overall top 20 for third grading period is not announced. It makes the students speculate the reason why. It is the first time it happened.

There are a lot of rumors about it. They said the top 1 has changed. They believe that it is not announced because the top 1 is not from the star section. They believe that Dahlia is the overall top 1. It spreads in our batch. My friends even fuel the rumors by saying that Dahlia was our Valedictorian in Sto. Nino Elementary School.