Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Brandon: When I hear that Mrs. Gonzales is arranging our seats according to our surnames, I already feel the possibility of sitting beside Dahlia is high.

My heart is beating so fast. I know what I'm feeling is worse when I think being called in a Math recitation without knowing the answer nor the solution is far better than this. I feel like I want to be humiliated like that instead of feeling what I feel now.

It is as though I am already dreaming when I learnt that she will be my classmate. It is like an impossible dream. I even doubt myself if what happened last summer vacation was actually true or it was just in my head; it was too good to be true. People might not believe it as it sounds too fictional.

I never tell a soul though, so the only person who can tell me it's true is Dahlia.

Every day, I walk Camille to her house after class. It is quite far from the school if we only walk. It is faster to ride a tricycle and you only have to pay 8 pesos for the fare. However, we like to walk to her house in Sapa so that way we can spend more time together.

"It's shocking no! Dahlia represented our school in many competitions and even won even though she's not in Section 1."

I act surprised like I didn't know about it but in fact, I am always updated on Dahlia, "Yeah, it is quite shocking."

I am also irritated at Sir Lopez when he humiliated Karen and Dahlia. He doesn't have to mention that. It should be confidential. It was as though he really wanted the girls to be bullied for it.

"I'm in awe though the rest of the girls find her arrogant and rude. She didn't respect our teacher."

I feel so hype up when I hear that they are blaming Dahlia, "It was his fault. He humiliated them first. I would do the same to defend myself and my best friend. And...really, he would say that on the first day of class when they haven't adjusted?"

Mrs. Gonzales assigns temporary president and she chose Dahlia because she said she's the Student Council President of SEHS. The elections will be held in the second week of June so that we have time to get to know each other more and who will be the deserving officers.

Every time there's no teacher in our room, Dahlia, the president, will be the one looking out for us. Last year, our president assigned someone who will list the noisy and all the boys are always on those lists. We have to pay one peso if you want your name removed. The money went to the class funds.

Dahlia, on the other hand, sits in front but she doesn't care if we're noisy, rowdy, or not. Sometimes she's talking to Camille and Karen, or with our classmates in front. Whether it's a boy or a girl, it doesn't matter. She's friendly to everyone, same as Karen.

If she has a problem with any of our classmates, I wouldn't know. She seems to like them though.

Most of the time, she's busy scribbling on her notebook. From time to time, she walks and stays on the door frame to check if the teacher's coming. She's an expert tolerating us.

"Shut up!" She shouts and we immediately know what she meant. Dead silence, "Ma'am Gonzales." Then she waves her hand.

My classmates return to their seats, align it properly, and be in their best behaviors.

And that's how she secured being our class president.

Dahlia always greets me every morning. Her eyes smile first and then her lips follow.

This really doesn't feel real.

"Hi! You're always early."

We broke this awkwardness between us last summer. However, for me, it feels as though I am back to square one. I feel nervous around her and even the thought that she sits beside me every day seems unreal.