Chapter 19

Chapter 19

Dahlia: I never consider liking Andres. I know he is hitting on me. I don't really mind. He doesn't make me feel uncomfortabe. I treat him as a close friend.

Now that I think of the possibility of him being my boyfriend, I don't hate the idea. I think it will be fun.

Karen wants me to do it as early as possible. I am busy every day. Every after class, we have MTAP review. I squeeze our weekly meeting for the SSC this week. I meet up with Timothy on Saturday and Sunday as we are working on the experiments for the Investigatory Project. I have math tutoring session every Saturday together with Victoria.

I'm doing additional preparations for the School Fest. I'm also doing advanced studies in preparation for the SATs.

Of course, I have regular classes too. I do projects and assignments in the shortest time possible.

I say goodbye to Victoria after the tutoring session. I treat her some banana skewers, bananacue, before we separate ways.

Timothy is already outside the office waiting for me. If this happenned last school year, I would be over the moon. Right now, I am too busy to feel anything. It feels normal. Maybe because my feelings for him is not as intense as before. I have different priorities now.

I still kind of flirt with him from time to time. Maybe, out of habit. I don't have hopes of getting back together with him. If the opportunity presents itself, I will refuse it. I plan to ran away from here. There's no future for us.

"Hi! Did you miss me?"

See? The dangers of a habit.

He look at me with daggers in his eyes. He rolls his eyes and ignores me.

I laugh, "Let's go inside. What time is the practice presentation?"

"One. Let's polish our presentation."

"Do you want to do the introduction?"

"You have more appeal to the audience, Dahlia. First impression lasts."

"You are more articulate though. I really think you should do it instead. You can be charismatic too. The thing with confidence, the audience don't know if it's real."

"You're doing this to make fun of me. I'm serious to win this competition that's why we should lay our best cards. And you, giving the introduction, are the best choice and the safest."

The practice presentation starts when the science teachers arrive. Everyone says that it is best strategy that I do the introduction. I refuse.

"You still haven't seen Timothy doing it. Decide after you've seen it."

The teachers agree. Timothy grabs me by the arm to the corner before we start to present for the second time.

"Why are you going such length to humiliate me?"

"I am not humiliating you do. I know you can do it."

"You will attract the judges and the audience with your face, first and foremost, and then when you speak your mind...it's end game. You can persuade everyone even when you utter complete nonsense."

"You can attract them with your face too. You are good looking, Timothy."

He stops. His face softens. He blushes.

I blink my eyes as I watch him. He immediately turns his back on me.

"I treat you as my equal. If I can do it, I know that you can do it as well. You need to believe in yourself more."