CHAPTER 7

I struggled to stay upright. The news hit me so suddenly and plagued me with a lot of emotions that I couldn't explain. She was dying? How? What was wrong with her?

It's funny how much I still cared even though I had turned my back on her and swore never to go back to that pack. How I didn't even think about her so much in all these years and yet just the mention of her dying had wrecked my composure.

"W-What's wrong with her" I managed to ask.

"I don't know. But I was at your house last week and she was bedridden. It seems she is plagued by some kind of illness"

"How?" Werewolves didn't fall sick that easily. There was nothing like terminal illness for our kind. So what could be wrong with her?

"I really don't know Halsey. But what I do know is that she longs to see you"

And now, hearing that she was ill and dying, I wanted to see her. But I couldn't go back to that pack. When I left, I left forever. I swore never to return and I'm not about to go back on my words by going there.

"She wants to see you even if it's just for once. Since you disappeared like that, we assumed a lot of things. We thought you were dead and I felt so bad"

I snorted. Nadira feeling bad? That was something out of a fairytale. It didn't exist. Nadira was selfish and cruel so I couldn't imagine her feeling bad for anyone, much less for me.

"But seeing you now will convince her what she needs to know. That you are alive and unhurt. And you even have a son. She'll love to...."

"Don't you dare Nadira. The existence of my son has nothing to do with anyone. Do not speak a word about him or I'll ruin you" I wasn't above being cruel and letting everyone know just what kind of a person she was.

That behind her sweet smile and pretty face was a girl with a heart that rivaled that of the devil.

"You've really changed a little Hasley," she said with a smile and I rolled my eyes.

"I hope you can visit so she can see you. She's really down bad and everyone thinks she won't live out the year. I know you're angry and..."

"You don't know Nadira. Stop trying to act like you know what I went through"

"You're right. I don't. But whatever happened back then, it shouldn't prevent you from seeing your mother one last time before she passes away"

I hated to admit that she was right. Nothing was reason enough to not pay her a final visit. If I don't go, I'll end up regretting it for the rest of my life. But going back to that pack..... I don't think I'm ready for it and I don't think I'll ever be. There was just too much I wanted to avoid there.

"Halsey" Nadira called softly and I looked at her.

"I'm really sorry. Words will not be enough to apologize for what we.... I did to you back then. I can't even understand why I would act like that to anyone"

Because you're a bitch. I wanted to scream at the top of my voice but I chose to remain silent.

"I think back on what I did to you and I'm ashamed. And regretful. I'm not that kind of person again and I'm happy I got the chance to apologize to you. I'm having a child and I don't want karma.... I don't want my child to go through something like that"

I scoffed.

"I mean what I'm saying, Hasley. I'm sorry and I want you to forgive me"

"You cannot want anything from me Nadira. Your apology means nothing to me. It will not take back the years of torture or the scars that litter my body. It won't do anything to erase the horrible memories I have about all of you. I want you to suffer but I can't even wish your child to experience half of what I did. And I can never forgive you Nadira"

No matter how badly I wanted to, I can never forget and as long as those memories remained in my head, I could never forgive them.

"I understand. I'll have to live with it for the rest of my life. But then, please see your mother. I know she'll want to hold your hand for the last time"

I walked away without as much as a word to her. I was conflicted between the strong desire to see my mother and my vow to stay away from that pack.

I bumped into a man as I walked away.

"Sorry," he mumbled and I forced a smile.

"Are you...."

"Baby" I heard Nadira's voice from behind and I walked away. So that was her mate.

Katherine was outside, pacing when I arrived at the front.

"What's up?"

"I think I'm going to go now"

"Okay. Let me just grab my..."

"You don't have to go with me, Katherine. You can stay. I just want to lay down"

"There's no way I'm staying back when you're leaving. I'll just say my goodbyes and then we'll be on our way. Please wait here" she said and hurried back in before I could get in another word.

I stood outside for a while, wrapping my hands around myself due to the chilly breeze. There was no sign of Katherine and I was debating on just going home when she appeared.

"Let's go" She linked our arms together and we walked away.

"Sorry you couldn't enjoy it because of me"

"Stop that Hasley. I enjoyed it."

"But you had to leave early because of me"

"You didn't force me to. I left early because I wanted to. Stop being all dull because of that"

"Thank you so much, Katherine. Thank you for all that you do for me"

"I should thank you too. For showing up in my life when you did"

I don't think I've done much for her, but I wasn't going to argue on that.

We arrived at our home and entered into the house. The sitter was asleep on the couch, her arms thrown over her eyes. I went into the second room and saw the two children sleeping soundly. I closed the door gently not wanting to disturb them.

"Asleep?" Katherine asked and I nodded. We entered my room and I shut the door.

"Okay. What did that bitch want again?"

"Same thing. She wanted to talk"

"Whatever for? It's a bit too late to be sorry for what she did to you"

Better late than never. I thought to myself. But it didn't matter. Her apology to me doesn't matter.

"My mother is sick....dying"

"What? Where did you hear that from"

"Nadira"

"I won't believe whatever comes out from her mouth though. She could be lying for all you know"

I shook my head. She seemed sincere. She had no reason to lie about my mother's health.

"It could be a prank, Hasley. You know better than to trust someone like her"

"I don't think so" I countered.

"What do you want to do?"

"If she's really sick.... What do you plan to do to?"

"I don't know" I buried my face in my hands.

"And what are you going to do about Keith? If you decide to go, will you take him along"

"Never. Nobody can ever know about Keith" the warning note I received that day, flashed in my head.

"So you'll go alone?"

Did I want to go?

"I'll regret it if she passes without seeing her one last time. The part of me that loves her wants to go see her. But the part that resents her...."

"I understand your conflict. But death is final. If she goes, you can never see her again no matter how much you want to"

I didn't need to think so hard anymore. I know exactly what I have to do