CHAPTER 8

Nothing has changed much in the grey stone pack. Everything looked exactly the same as when I lived here. Almost as if I hadn't been gone in four years.

The car came to a stop at the driveway. I heard the sound of doors opening but I didn't move. I just stared at the front door, several memories playing in my head.

A knock on the car window startled me out of my thoughts and I looked at Nadira. I finally opened the door and stepped out of the car.

"Are you having second thoughts about being here? I know...."

"Let's go and see my mother" I cut her off, uninterested in anything she had to say. It'll just be another sad, innocent talk that I considered fake.

"Okay"

"I'll be outside baby," her mate said, maintaining his position next to the driver's door.

I looked over my shoulder and our eyes met. He tried to be nice during the ride and engage me in conversation but u kept my replies short. I had no interest in being friends with him and he must have gotten the hint because he left me alone for the rest of the ride.

I shouldn't be hostile to him if I hated Nadira. He probably didn't know about what she was like before they met. But I didn't care.

I stood on Nadira's right while she knocked on the door. It opened less than a minute later, blocking me completely.

"Nadira?" I heard father's voice. Exactly like I remembered.

"I didn't expect to see you here. Didn't you go to your mate's pack?"

"I did. But... we just came back...."

"Where's your mate? Come on in. Don't stand outside and speak. Your aunt will love to see you"

"Yes. But I didn't come alone" I decided that was the perfect time to reveal myself. I came out from behind the door and he saw me.

Shock flashed in his eyes for a moment and then hate. What I always saw whenever he looked at me.

"Father," I said simply.

"Hasley. What are you doing here?" I felt hurt. He hasn't seen his daughter for four years and that's the reaction he gives?

I scoffed. I could try to lie that I didn't care but I did. And a lot too. Nobody would be unhurt, knowing that they were unloved by their own father.

Sucking it up, I forced a smile to my face.

"I'd like to see my mother"

"See your mother? You have no right to show up after four years and demand anything"

"Uncle..."

"Stay out of this Nadira. What were you thinking? That you could disappear just like that and show up after four years and it'll be smiles and rainbows? That we would hug you and congratulate you for returning? Do you have any idea how leaving wrecked your mother?"

'If I had been treated like a human being at least, u wouldn't have left the way I did' I wanted to scream at him but I held myself back. I wasn't going to give him any reaction. I almost regretted my decision to come here, but I reminded myself that it wasn't for him.

I was here for my mother.

"Parker who...." My mother appeared in the doorway and her eyes went wide when she saw me.

"Halsey..." her voice broke and I moved forward. She threw her arms around me, squeezing me tightly. I wrapped my arms around her loosely, unable to return the intensity of her hug. It took disappearing for four years for her to hug me like I meant the world to her.