Five.

Anthony Bridgerton was a successful man in business, and some would say even life, but one aspect he was drastically failing on... was romance. He had turned 28 earlier that year, and his mother for all intense purposes was desperately plotting to set him up with a future 'bride'. Her monthly list of 'single' women in society (from respectable families obviously) had come through his email that morning. So far, he had managed to avoid her insistence, however, as he'd be attending Aubrey Hall for the holidays, there really was no way he could dodge the dooming conversations.

Great.

His mother was a romantic. A delusional romantic at that. Violet and Edmund Bridgerton met when they were children and had the typical 'friends to lovers' romance. His mother believed in true love, 'soulmates', her eldest son however, didn't. Anthony had a string of failed relationships, and if he was honest, he never saw himself as the settling down type (He had far too many responsibilities anyway). If he was brutally honest, he had never met a woman that ever made him feel anything other than lust. He sounded pretty animalistic, but the way his mother spoke about love, he hadn't experienced that yet, and he truly thought he never would.

But then again, it was probably just him and his cold heart (Benedict Bridgerton's analysis).

You see, when Edmund Bridgerton passed away tragically when Anthony had just turned eighteen, he was thrusted into the position 'head' of the family. He took over the running of his father's businesses (Anthony learned everything he needed to know and more with the help of his fathers most trusted advisors). Around three or so years later, when Anthony turned 21, he took over as 'CEO' of Bridgerton Business & Co and never looked back. He more than tripled the company's profit and growth within his first three years as CEO. He was one of the youngest, and most successful, CEOs within his field. His power and reach were astronomical for someone so young. His drive for success? publicly he'd say maintaining the reputation of Bridgerton name, but if he was actually honest, it was to make sure him and his family had everything they could ever need. If his father wasn't there to do it for them, Anthony would.

After all, that was his responsibility.

Aubrey Hall was going to be a time for him to recharge his batteries. Even though being 'CEO' meant you were always on call, he had built a loyal and dedicated workforce that he left behind in his stead. So, hopefully they'd managed two weeks without burning the place to the ground. Colin called him a few weeks prior and informed him that he wouldn't be attending Christmas this year, in turn, making Anthony the one to break the news to their mother. She wasn't surprised. Colin lived the life of 'adventure' and as much as Anthony envied his younger brother for his lack of responsibility, Anthony truly wouldn't have the first clue what to do without it. Carefree wasn't a word Anthony knew. This was his life, and even though it was hard, demanding, and all-consuming sometimes, he wouldn't change it.

None of it.

"Well I don't understand why you can't just speak to her, Miss Goring is a lovely girl," Violet said exhaustively towards him. "Mother, I love you, but let's just enjoy the holidays..." he paused and grabbed her hand, "...I do not wish to be set up and engaged, you always say love is the most natural thing in the world, let me figure this part out myself."

Violet nodded. Reluctantly.

A loud scream from Francesca saved him. "Daph's here!" She was perched at the window watching Simon's car pulling up the driveway. His mother ran excitedly outside without warning, and Hy and Greg beamed in excitement. He had never seen the two youngest siblings grin like that before, let alone for Daphne. He was almost a little jealous. (Daphne was always considered the 'serious' sister, which meant no fun in Hy & Greg's book).

"Is she here?" Greg asked excitedly.

"Yes! Now you two don't monopolise all her time, she is here to spend time with all of us," Fran said pointing between the two youngest Bridgerton siblings. They rolled their eyes and sheepishly nodded. Anthony laughed as he saw Hyacinth cross her fingers behind her back.