DEVIL's ADVOCATE: 14

If a God is a dog,
and a man is a fraud
Then I'm a lost cause

If a God is a dog, and a man is a fraudThen I'm a lost cause

WARNING: just some messiness,
some sad shit.

*italics are the central narrator
commentary*

2019, one week before
the challengers tournament

Isadora's hands sweat cold as she walked slowly towards the alley, seeing a figure in the distance idly waiting for her, she looked around like she was hiding something, which she was, she lied to Thomas telling her she was going to the hotel's spa for two hours.

Patrick smiled big at her when she stood in front of him, his hand awkwardly extending to the air offering a cigarette to her.

"I don't smoke. Not after... rehab." She dryly said, arms lacings around her chest.

"Sorry, I didn't know." He turned around exhaling the smoke behind them.

"What do you want?" She asked.

Patrick flickered his eyes around her stoic expression, "I'm gonna propose something to you. You're probably gonna hate me and be angry with me—like really angry" Isadora raised an eyebrow, opening her mouth to talk, "You have to hear me out, okay?"

She gave him a dead stare, shrugging her shoulders, his body leaning towards the walls, moving closer to hers, "I don't believe in coincidence. I think the universe put us together in this moment, me, Art and you. To move to the next turning point in our lives." He inhaled his cigarette.

Isadora threw him an incredulous look, she was dreading what he was going to say next.

"If you're about to say—"

Patrick quickly nodded, "I want you to be my coach, I—"

"No."

"Listen," Patrick raised his hands, seeing how she went rigid and closed off, "Even If he wins the open, completes the grand slam; Art's still going to retire as someone who was just—really, really good." Isadora quickly blinked, a pissed expression slowly forming in her face, "That's what you guys would've done together, If everything had turned a few years back differently," Isadora scoffed, she couldn't believe what she was hearing, "But, imagine if, you, could turn Patrick Zweig, into a guy who wins a slam."

"I still have a season," He shakes his head, "I still have one good season in me, and I need you," He pointed at her, "To bring out of me."