Chapter 8: It'll be quick if you fucking cooperate, Kairo

It's been an hour since we got to Kairo's place. I sat on the edge of his bed rubbing my bottom lip, realizing I kissed my best friend, who was now my boyfriend. Boyfriend. I mouthed getting the feeling of the word; it felt a little strange and so did the kiss. What did I expect from kissing my best friend like it was something I wanted to do from the very beginning?

Kairo walks out of his bathroom with a towel wrapped around his waist. His hair was a wet mess and he didn't bother to dry it. Instead, he shook his head, flicking water everywhere. He tells me I could use the shower if I wanted. But I like the lingering smell of the beach on me. I rubbed my hands together staring across his room at a big tittie anime woman wearing a small bikini.

The bed slightly dips down a little as Kairo sits away from me with his legs spread wide. The only noise in his room was my heavy breathing and fast heartbeat.

"We kissed," I said, like I was trying to confirm something that didn't feel real.

"We did," Kairo answered. "We're dating now."

"Yeah–I should go." I jumped up from Kairo's bed, ready to bolt to the bedroom door but the gentle tug on my wrist from him pulled me back down to the bed, this time closer to him.

The gentle glow emanating from his computer screen illuminated the dimly lit room, while the warm, amber hue of his sunset lamp cast a soothing radiance from the shelf above. The faint hum of the computer and the soft whir of the desk fan created a calming feeling.

Kairo brings his head closer to mine and tilts it to the side before he buries his face into my neck. He breathes in my scent before placing a quick tender kiss. "Don't make this weird now," he said.

"I ain't. I just–Shit we're dating like for real dating yo."

"It's not too late," Kairo said against my neck. "If you don't want to we don't have to–"

"Just taking it in. Like it doesn't feel real, ya know?"

We don't say anything in the seconds that pass by. The next thing I knew I found my lips against his. I kiss him slower. From feeling the softness of his lips and feeling the corners of his mouth pull into a smile.

Kairo pushes me down on his bed. His intoxicating scent envelops me. It reminds me of a sun-drenched summer day back in June, evoking memories of cool raindrops crossing my hot sweaty skin. The softness of his scent resembles the velvety texture of ripe peach skin beneath my fingers and lips.

"Almost like a dream?" he asked.

I swallowed. "Yeahh."

I knew Kairo but at the same time, it didn't feel like I didn't right now. Things like friends and lovers blurred the lines and the transition into being lovers looked purple and blue. Liking another guy is new to me and liking my best friend was something more than just liking my best friend. I start to examine every small detail of me and Kairo's friendship. What could change between us now? Or would there ever be any noticeable change?