Chapter 1: Taking Tests and Choosing Factions

"Hold still, Y/n! How am I supposed to make sure your eyebrows are even if you keep fidgeting?"

Y/n stifled a sigh as her mother, a woman who could spot a lie in a heartbeat and a misplaced hair from across the room, brandished tweezers with the precision of a surgeon.

"Mom, it's fine," Y/n insisted, though her voice lacked its usual conviction. "It's not like the test scanners analyze eyebrow symmetry."

Her father, perched on the edge of her bed with a newspaper in hand, chuckled. "Don't underestimate the power of a good first impression," he said, his eyes twinkling. "Even if it's just on a machine." He lowered the paper, his expression turning serious. "But your mother's right, you know. Honesty is the best policy, even in your appearance."

Y/n knew her parents weren't just talking about eyebrows. Honesty. Transparency. It was the Candor way, ingrained in them as much as the black and white clothes they wore. But what if honesty meant admitting she wasn't sure she belonged in Candor?

As if reading her mind, her mother set down the tweezers and cupped Y/n's face in her hands. Her touch, though firm, held a surprising tenderness. "Sweetheart," she said, her voice soft but unwavering, "we love you, no matter what. Candor values honesty, yes, but it also values courage. The courage to be true to yourself, even if it means choosing a different path."

Y/n's father nodded, his gaze steady and reassuring. "Your mother's right. We raised you to be brave, to speak your truth. Whatever that truth may be, we'll be right here, proud as can be."

Their words, spoken with such unwavering love and acceptance, calmed the storm brewing inside Y/n.  She was Candor, yes, but she was also her own person. And maybe, just maybe, those two things weren't mutually exclusive.

Taking a deep breath, Y/n met her mother's gaze in the mirror, a newfound sense of determination settling in her gut. "Thanks, Mom, Dad," she said, a genuine smile spreading across her face. "I'm ready to face the truth, whatever it may be."

As they headed towards the door, a united front in black and white, Y/n realized that honesty wasn't just about speaking the truth, it was about living it. And today, she was ready to start living hers.

-

Y/n walked though the streets, making her way to the place where she had to take her test. Her usual black and white outfit on.

When she made it to the place, she saw many people lined up to take the test. She got in line with the rest of them. As she waited she overheard a guy from Candor talking with someone from Abnegation since the lines were practically curved.

"Hey. So, all the food that we're not getting...you guys are giving away to the Factionless?" The guy asked, they nodded.

"Right? Yeah?"

"Yeah." The boy replied, nodding.

"You're a liar. Why are you lying to me? Everybody knows you keep it for yourselves." The boy looked down, embarrassed. Y/n couldn't help but roll her eyes at the boy from candor. If he didn't believe him why'd he ask?