nine

warnings / attempted sexual assault

.・。.・゜✭・.

It was late afternoon, the sun high in the sky, casting rays of gold and umber across the small woodland area that Elina and Feyre were wandering through. Nixie's were dancing in the small pond beside them, prancing atop the rippling water, leaving behind trails of shimmering silver. Their giggles echoed like rushing water across the clearing. Feyre watched them in fascination, grinning over at Elina who smiled back.

"How do you find all these places?" The mortal asked, crouching down a few steps away from the pond, watching as a pair of nixie's twirled around together, blue skin almost translucent upon the clear pond.

"I don't like being cooped up inside, so instead I wander," Elina shrugged, crouching beside her. "When I first came to the Spring Court I would be out from dawn to dusk, Lucien would go out of his mind sometimes, but I love it out here," She said, waving at the nixie's who kicked their feet up playfully, showering Elina and Feyre in a spray of ice cold water.

"Did we upset them?" Feyre asked worriedly but the fae shook her head.

"They're just saying hello," Elina said, shooting the nixie's a mock glare, "Play nice, Feyre doesn't know you," She scolded the nixie's who only giggled once again, splashing their feet.

The pair stood once again, heading back through the woods and onto a grassy knoll, and there, in the distance, various fae's rushed to and fro, bundles of wood and leaves in their arms as they built the bonfires. Elina's skin crawled.

"What are they doing?" The mortal asked curiously.

"They're setting up bonfires, for Calanmai," Elina said, her voice tight.

"What's that?"

"Fire night, its a spring celebration," The fae said, "They light bonfires and dance and sing, and then there's the ritual, it creates magic, magic that helps power spring for the upcoming year," Elina explained, turning away from the preparations. "It takes place in two days,"

"How do they create the magic? What's the ritual?" Feyre asked curiously.

"Something very..." The fae paused, sucking in a breath, "Fae," She finished. "It's very old, ancient practically, outdated," She scoffed, taking Feyre's hand and beginning to lead her away.

"You sound like you don't like it," Feyre pointed out as they walked back towards the house.

"There are certain things I just don't agree with about it," Elina said simply. "Tamlin runs everything here as his father once did, while most High Lords strive to right the wrongs of their past, he embraces it," The fae could sense Feyre watching her, confusion clear on her face but she didn't push.

"There will be more fae here than usual," Elina added, "Travelling in for the festival,"

"But I thought that the Blight had scared them all away?" Feyre said.