Chapter 6: Double Dates

A/N: Sorry this took forever, it's been done for a little while now, but I needed time to edit and I was smack dab in the thick of Kingdom of Ash when I had finished writing so I had to finish the book before taking the day to go through and edit. The next one is coming much sooner, and that is a PROMISE. I split this chapter into two parts because I was afraid it would be too long if I didn't so MOST of the next chapter is written. I just have to finish up writing and edit and then I'll post. Don't forget that if you are enjoying the story, please vote and comment. Every interaction helps and I love reading your comments.

XOXO,

S. 

"You wouldn't believe it, her office was magical, Win. MAGICAL." Pouting out her lips, Lucielle draws on her true red lipstick. If ever the color red was iconic, it was because of Lucielle. At least in Winnie's mind. The woman wears it with a finesse unlike any other. Red was made for her. Friday evening has arrived. The night Winnie has been both dreading and anticipating for nearly a whole week and now, the two young women are sitting at Lucielle's vanity primping.

Even with the minimal warm light casted through the room, Lucielle's light golden hair shines in the fabric draped mirror. Her finger waves, perfect for the occasion. Thought out well ahead of time as the girls always do. With a careful, steady hand, she draws a thin line from the inner corner of her eye to the edge, dragging it into a small wing just past her lashes. Using a small brush, she smokes out the top edges of the line to create a sultry look, making Lucielle's eyes a bit sharper. If Winnie knows her friend at all, it's an indicator of possibly two things. Lucielle really likes Harry, and or she has plans that involve things Winnie has yet to explore.

"Tell me everything!"

"Well, going in wasn't so great. I was stress sweating and it was not pretty. The lobby has issues of Magazines featuring Mrs. Langford's designs and some of her, herself. I swear Win, it was like her eyes kept following me. Taunting me. Waiting for me to fail. I could've used your boost of confidence at that point. Though, since I didn't have my biggest supporter there... I took to finding something else to focus on. The main office was fairly standard to what you'd see in most businesses. A check in board for employees, front desk and receptionist, files, a type writer. The work spaces are all in black and white. But they had some plants to spruce it up a bit and like I said, those magazine issues.

"Then, like a game of hide and seek, I found swatches of color on the walls and I thought perhaps they were considering a change, until I found more and more and I got so lost in finding them that it distracted me enough to be called back for my meeting with Mrs. Langford. You pass the threshold and Win... it's a whole new world beyond. The base of the walls start white, swatches of color here and there but then they spread out into an ocean of colors and textures and the deeper you go into the work spaces it's no longer paint but fabrics. I've never seen anything like it in my whole life.

"People were working at various stages of design at work benches. Sketches of designs were all over the place. Ugh...." Lucielle groans gaily. "It's a dream Win, I can see myself being a real stylist there one day. Maybe even a designer. The famous donning my clothing on red carpets and such. Anyway, I get to the back to meet thee Mrs. Gale Langford and she is exquisite. The woman is a piece of living art. She was wearing this white hat with a blue ribbon band and it was a one of a kind, I'm sure of it. It was similar to a fedora but taller and had a wider brim, one side tipped up and the other more relaxed and tilted down. Oh the things I would do for that hat, Win." Lucielle sighs, takes a new breath and then continues.

"She wore a light blue suit and pencil skirt with a design that reminds me of barbed wire. You know? How it's twisted in the middle, but the ends curve out to points. Well, it's prettier than it sounds." She waves her hands around animatedly as she speaks. "It buttoned down the front of the jacket, big round buttons. Puffed shoulders and complemented with white gloves she hadn't even worn, but held in her diamond wrapped hands. You should have seen the size of that thing. It could have paid for everything you'd need in your life."