Chapter 8: Crafty

A/N: This is a long one, grab a snack and get cozy. And remember, if you're enjoying the story, please comment and vote. Your support means the world and engagement keeps us writers encouraged to keep writing.

xoxo,

-S.

Waking up before dawn this morning, Winnie had an unnatural amount of energy. Bounding around the house, collecting pen and paper, a phone book and a small collection of newspapers. The girl was on a mission of the slightly stalkery sort, but she thinks nothing of it as she calls every relevant ad in the newspaper. Dead end after dead end she comes up short.

Does that stop her? No, she has another option. Opening the hefty book filled with numbers and names, she flips through, pausing only to double check names and get a whiff of the new book smell. Their last one was so well worn that it was falling apart and had pages missing; so as a gift to her parents one day, Winnie bought a new one having found the last one a crime to humanity to have any book, even the phone book in such a condition.

She calls and calls and calls, getting leads here and there, yet, still comes up empty handed. Apparently her search is broader than she originally thought. The few connections she has, leads her to a man in Queens who says he knows the name she inquires after but isn't privy to the information she seeks. He gives her the name of a woman who works booking in business who knows a guy who knows a guy who reps said person.

Only three hours in, a second cup of caffeinated tea, sweet talking and a bit of bribing later, Winnie has an address and time. But it's only the beginning. Knowing what she has to do next, Winnie decides to take a moment to prepare.

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

Steadying herself, she raps on the door in a one, one-two pattern. The sound nothing but innocence and cheer. Not the devious cunning that is brewing under that sweet smile she wears. Footsteps sound behind the door. Heavy, but quiet from training. The white door with a chewed mark along the bottom edge whines as it swings smoothly, opening to the mass of a man in a brown suit with emerald cufflinks and a thin black mustache on his upper lip.

"Did you need something, dear?" that assessing gaze narrows on her upon finding her hands clasped in front of her and her eyes wide and glittering with irreproachability and warmth.

Rocking on the balls of her heels and shaking her head slightly, she lightens her voice, "Daddy, now why would you assume I need anything?"

Lifting a thick, dark brow, he dips his chin. "I raised you, child. Spill it." Alright, she got it, no beating around the bush.

"I need a ride to Queens."

Leaning against the frame of the doorway, he observes his daughter carefully, trying to flush her out on his own before giving in and out right asking her, "Queens? What business could you have there?"

Shaking her head, she explains. "The business isn't mine. Not exactly. I have a friend... who needs some fashion advice. Luce called and she gave me a list of things to reject since she has a prior engagement and is sending me in her stead. I would've asked Charlie, but he is working." Yes and no. She knew if she would have asked him, he would have taken her before his midday shift, but that ride would have cost her with his overprotective inquisitiveness. And if she admitted anything, he would have thought her crazy and brought her right back home. Because if anyone can crack Winnie amidst her making up her mind on something, it would be her brother.

"And who would this friend be?"

"Pierce. He is getting fitted for a custom suit for the debutante ball. Remember, Maria Sheuffar asked him a few months ago. I still don't understand why that is the way people would decide to court, but it's none of my business, I guess. I don't have to be subjected to that nightmare." A lie. A well crafted, 4 am wandering thought that caught in Winnie's web of brilliance. Too smooth and easy and reliable due to the fact that if questions are asked, she has truth to back it all up. Through her writing, she has learned a thing or two. Mix a little truth in your lies and they become flawless. Lucielle does have a prior engagement and Pierce does have his fitting today. And a call to each of her friends who love any and all drama, she has alibi's to corroborate her story. And Pierce will be there to even say hello to her father. The perfect nail in the coffin. Even if she will be getting dropped back off by neither of them. That is neither here nor there and a problem for later.