8. Working on a storyboard

He got up from his desk with eyes burning, and had a good stretch: he's been sitting down for hours. Then, going to that tiny kitchen (actually a niche with a little fridge, microwave and a kettle), he made himself some coffee. Hua Cheng's been coming to the studio every day, all day (sometimes till late at night, even) for the past three weeks.

"Oh right, today's Thursday", he said to himself in sudden realisation. He wondered if Xie Lian was missing the cakes he took for him every week (well, missing him).

He had texted him a few times these past days, but it wasn't the same. He looked out the window: it was already March, days were getting longer now, it must be, what, around four? Hua Cheng suddenly felt like giving himself a break and dropping by at TUA just to say hi.

Then he thought, huh, better not: if he goes, he won't feel like coming to the studio tomorrow, or the day after, and he really needs to finish this storyboard. He gave off a long sigh.

"So, Hua Cheng, we're seeing a lot more of you these days huh?", Lang Chang asked casually the other day, when he dropped there to have some hot food. Most of the time he didn't bother, bringing convenience store stuff instead, or snacks. And beer to drink in the evenings.

"Well, I need the proper equipment from my studio to produce a decent storyboard", he explained.

Hua Cheng's storyboards were far from just decent though: although not being of course a finished thing, they looked much better than your average storyboard. He took the trouble of detailing characters' emotions and body language (as they were crucial to convey the story plot), instead of rough sketches only.

"Shonen mangaka have it easy", he used to say, "Dramatic stances, crazy explosions, ripples, textures, visual effects. Now, to show subtle feelings – "

All text had to be properly typed too: if Hua Cheng depended on handwritten storyboards his mangaka career would have been finished before even started...

He once said in a Q&A in some manga convention that he did storyboards pretty much like washing up as you go when cooking: put a little bit of thought into it at the start, and you don't have to keep changing it too much.

He even sent it to He Xuan by courier, for him to read at his own time, not relying on the artist's explanations at all. As clear and straight-forward as possible. He Xuan would of course suggest changes here and there (most of them ignored by Hua Cheng), just to justify his job title. After much arguing, Hua Cheng maybe would change some minor detail.

He opened a box of Japanese black tea cookies (the ones with a generous chocolate coating), grabbing two or three and, holding his coffee mug, went back to his desk, to carry on with work.

He thought of Xie Lian again: alright Gege, just a few more days and I'll be finished, hang on.

One week after, Hua Cheng dropped in a train to Ueno right after that meeting at his publisher's: that's why he was dressed so nicely, with a tight-fitting dark red buttoned shirt, black trousers slightly short at the ankles, and black leather shoes. He certainly attracted many eyes with his tall, dark and handsome looks.

He arrived at TUA around 5:15, maybe 5:30, Xie Lian would be leaving any moment. He saw the lights in his office but decided to wait, almost like last time they met, only this time it wasn't raining: it was a bright late afternoon, actually hot, too hot for early spring.

Sure enough Xie Lian showed up right after, dressed in a loose white shirt and beige trousers, with light camel suede shoes. He held on to the strap of his messenger bag, also beige, looking thoughtful, absent-minded even, walking with soft, slow steps.

Suddenly showing out in full view, Hua Cheng said, smiling, "Good work today, Gege".

Xie Lian's eyes lit and he beamed, exclaiming, "San Lang!"

That smile! Hua Cheng remembered Xie Lian's smile was amazing, but not that amazing.

"Ahem, long time no see. How have you been?", Xie Lian asked, quickly recovering.

"Right? I missed you Gege!", Hua Cheng replied, "I'm good, I'm good. Can I walk you to the station?", he asked, thinking, maybe Xie Lian had plans like last time: after all it was Hua Cheng who showed up unannounced. He added, "I'm really sorry I didn't come earlier, I just – "

"Oh that's fine", Xie Lian replied coolly, huh, too coolly in Hua Cheng's opinion. "Can't be helped, it's work. I just hope you haven't been skipping on sleeping – "

Hua Cheng pffted a laugh, and Xie Lian followed, both remembering the whole story about how Hua Cheng used to sleep during classes, with the exception of Xie Lian's lessons (or so he said). But that was when his first book was being serialised (before being published), and he had to produce a whole chapter from scratch every week.

They kept walking side by side, a sudden awkwardness between them. Xie Lian was the one to break it, "So, how's the storyboard going? Fine I guess, since you're here – "

"Oh, it's finished. I submitted it a few days ago, I'm just coming from a feedback meeting at my publishers. That's why I'm dressed like this", he concluded with a look at me gesture.

Xie Lian gave him a once-over and smiled, "This outfit suits you, you're looking good, San Lang".

He didn't ask how it was with the publisher, Hua Cheng noticed, but kept an expectant silence, probably waiting for Hua Cheng to tell him, in case it didn't go too well. Hua Cheng smiled to himself, realising not for the first time: Xie Lian was so cute!

"The storyboard was approved, with minor suggestions from He Xuan", he said, making it very clear he'd most likely ignore them all, "I had a meeting with the Commercial Department today, and an initial print run of 300 thousand copies was approved, 50 more than the one for Last Train Crush".

"Wow, San Lang, congratulations!", Xie Lian exclaimed, tapping him excitedly on his shoulder.

"Thank you", he smiled, "He Xuan wasn't too happy, he wanted 400 thousand, but that's a good thing: I bet he's going to promote the book like crazy, just for the 300 to be sold out in a week, and those idiots having to reprint it. Eh, that will serve them right".

Xie Lian pffted a laugh, "You fight with your editor all the time but I see you guys are soulmates".

Hua Cheng laughed too, "Fuck that guy! He did his homework though, showing them sales numbers from my previous books. They even increased my royalties. Guess I owe him a drink".

He went on, "Now I can stick to a more normal work pattern, so we can hangout sometimes? But once the book is released I think I'll have proper holidays, maybe traveling somewhere for a while – "

"San Lang, you're amazing", Xie Lian replied, his voice full of admiration, "I'm so proud of you, really".

Hua Cheng felt his face burning, "Huh, I couldn't have made it without your help Gege. I cannot thank you enough for your time and your patience of having me here every day – "

He felt a sudden sadness, realising he wouldn't come to spend his afternoons with Xie Lian, looking at art books, sketching, seeing him working on his thesis and tutoring his students, chatting, Xie Lian's seeing him smile at the cakes he brought on Thursdays.

They arrived at the station and stopped at the entrance. Hua Cheng went on, "Maybe you already have plans today, let me know when you're free, I'd like – "

"I don't. I don't have plans, I'm free", Xie Lian said. Was he blushing? Huh, it must be my imagination, Hua Cheng thought.

"Let me pay you a drink, as a thank you", Hua Cheng said, "No, a meal. A nice meal, I mean somewhere nice. Wait, I'll find a place we can go on my phone – "

Xie Lian smiled, "Alright, but don't worry too much about it. Anywhere is fine – "

Now the storyboard was approved, it's time to get together and celebrate. 😉

Thank you for reading, please comment, vote and/or follow me for the updates!