10| STARTLING DECEPTION

Rabastra Shrine; Wenimoh State – Kingdom of Styx.

SEGIMER WAS PERCHED ON A DEMODE, STURDY CATHEDRA flipping through an ancient Bauzerai tome. He had been trapped inside the Rabastra shrine for almost seven hundred and twenty years – alone with stacks of historic primaeval books and tomes. Over the years, he’d immersed himself into these alien Bauzerai tomes – imbibing absolutely every single knowledge his mind and brain are capable of apprehending. You’d think he’d get tired and bored stuck inside this shrine for hundreds of years, yes – but rarely.

Rabastra shrine, also known as Nebstradlanus – meaning ‘the oracle of lost souls, is an ancient monumental shrine built into a labyrinth. Few adventurers have narrowly survived the perilous journey, and none have returned to tell the tale. Those who have ventured deep into the south eastern Styx – rigorously stumbling upon the shrine have mysteriously vanished or met an untimely demise. The fortunate few who have wondered into the eastern Wenimoh – from Sinya - braved the forest of illusions and followed the River Styx and then finally to Nebstradlanus will navigate their way through treacherous pits and passages. They will prostrate themselves hundreds of times in every pit, leaving offerings and sacrifices in hopes of appeasing the unknown forces that dwell within.

It was rumoured that treasures and riches were hidden in the most remote alcove of the shrine. Moreover, whispers circulated that one could commune with ghosts, glimpse the future, and have all their prayers and wishes granted. This fueled the fervour for sacrifices and offerings as devotees hoped to unlock the shrine’s secret and reap its promised rewards

But incredibly, all these alleged rumours were mere fabrications concocted by Neogapullas, likely due to the eastern Wenimoh’s bizarre and mystifying nature. No one who had ventured had lived to tell the tale – except Segimer. And even he remains trapped inside the shrine.

Indeed, Nebstradlanus is a labyrinthine maze – constructed with dead-end channels and treacherous pits. Yet, Segimer had never strayed off track or lost his way within the confines of the shrine. The shrine’s layout is etched in the tablets of his memory like a network of vessels. The maze has protected him for years – providing a roof over his head and sustenance.

However, a deeply shrouded and crucial secret lay in the sanctuary of this shrine. A secret so powerful that, if revealed, would plunge the entire kingdom of Styx into chaos, as people would stop at nothing to claim the coveted Hinderburgh – the sword of vengeance – a treasure far more valuable than riches, speaking to ghosts, seeing the future or even having some of your wishes granted.

After years of studying the antique, enchanted tomes and books, he had come across many decerning and perplexing secrets. One secret, in particular, had elucidated his foremost dilemma – why he was still alive despite being trapped inside the Rabastra shrine for years. Why the shrine hadn’t snuffed the life out of him and driven him into madness like it did the others who had snooped. Why it kept him safe and fed. Undoubtedly, he was aware that the maze had a life of its own.
The oracle of lost souls was built specifically to safeguard and harbour the sword of vengeance – for the child of destiny, the ordained Anassa of Styx kingdom. He had seen her in his dream’s countless times. Their destinies were linked.

Segimer wondered when the Anassa might make an appearance in the Rabastra Shrine. He had been waiting for her for the past seven hundred and twenty years. The Hinderburgh was crafted and made specifically for her – to seek vengeance and rule with equity and benevolence. The shrine had stood for thousands of years, waiting for the destined Anassa to retrieve the Hinderburgh before Segimer shall accomplish his mission and fulfill his destiny by accompanying her to Aerys palace to take her rightful place as the first Anassa of Styx to ever exist in history.