11| UNFORTUNATELY...

Vallery Palace, Winter. Sovereign of Anax Kael Finrod. Dejia City – the Imperial capital city of Nix Kingdom.

ANDROMEDA MARGARET DAMON…NOW, CROWNED ANDROMEDA MARGARET FINROD settled into a velvet covered chair, her gaze fixed on the mirror before her. Her newly appointed handmaidens. Annia and Elara, stood on either side, their fingers weaving intricate braids in her long, dark auburn brown hair.

After she’d arrived at vallery palace last week, Anax Kael Finrod – the Anax of Nix kingdom – also her father in-law and her father’s dear friend, decreed that two more handmaidens should be added to the three she’d arrived with from her kingdom. The Anax proclaimed how the future Anassa of Nix kingdom ought to be treated delicately and with respect.

So, upon arrival, Annia and Elara were assigned alongside her previous handmaidens – Benna, her wet nurse, Nena and Ida to serve her.

As they worked, Margaret’s eyes wondered to the delicate lace and silk of her gown, which was mangled by Nena and draped across the nearby pedestal. The soft blue hues seemed to shimmer in the candlelight, and she couldn’t help but feel sorry for herself, discouraged and crushed each day and she wondered how she’s going to survive years in the palace.

“Your highness, your hair is looking lovely,” Annia said, her voice soft and soothing. “The braids will add a beautiful touch to your overall look.”

Margaret smiled, her eyes returning to the mirror. “Thank you, Annia. You and Elara are truly skilled. sincerely, her new handmaidens are nice but do they have an option as they’d been commanded by the Anax himself? Sincerely, she doesn’t trust them one bit. It takes hard work, dedication and immense sincerity from anyone in particular for her to place her trust in them. Neogapullas can be deceitful, especially handmaidens. In this palace, she can only trust Benna, Nina, Ida and her father’s knight she’d came with from Styx kingdom.

Elara smiled; her hands deftly weaving the strands into an intricate design. “We’re honored to serve you, Andromeda. You deserve only the best.”

As the handmaidens continued their work, Margaret’s thoughts drifted back to yesterday’s events – her marriage, Royal coronation, and nuptial night.

The temple inside the Vallery palace called the Salus temple – named after the ancient Roman goddess ‘Salus’ – the personification of security, prosperity and wellbeing of both couples whose fate were tied and every individual who prays inside the temple. Towering pillars, adorned the intricate carvings of mythological creatures and gods, supported the grand structure. The walls, adorned with vibrant frescoes told stories of battles won and lost, of mighty rulers and legendary heroes. The floors were made of marble, the heart of the temple a colossal statue of the goddess Salus stood, red eyes gleaming with an other worldly light, as if watching over secret and mysteries within, as well as blessing the couples whose knot were tied inside the temple.

But Margaret doubts if her marriage wouldn’t be cursed instead, because even if Salus herself were to bless her marriage, she still doesn’t intend to stay married to this brute Neogapulla. This marriage is a sham and will certainly go haywire.

At the altar, a man wearing a white silken robe, and a pair of white leather boots stood tall. Though he’s dressed plainly – the way any other priest ought to – he exuded power and strength from his piercing dark eyes, chiseled jaw and his tall and muscled frame. His presence itself commanded attention and piety.

Before them, a giant sculpture of the great Roman goddess Salus smiled down at them with her gentle and calm face, listening to vows and blessings of the most incompetent couples.