Chapter 4

Once the season started, Carolina and Gavi realised they actually saw each other way more than expected. Not just because of training at similar hours but because of Fermín. It was like going back in time, having to make him divide his time between his two friends. They knew it wasn't fair but they also were a bit selfish.

"Fer! Do you want to go have lunch?"

Fermín turned to look at Gavi, who was standing next to him...and who had asked him to have lunch with him too. "I already told Gavi I would go with him".

"Maybe we could all go together", said Carolina, looking at Gavi for his reaction.

"I'd be worrying about you poisoning my food the whole time".

"Just don't go to the toilet and leave the plate there...".

While they continued with their stare contest, Fermín shook his head and started to walk to the car. "Let's go, Gavi. I'll see you later, Caro. We could go have dinner at that place you wanted to try out".

"No, I want to go with you two", she insisted and Gavi didn't like the mocking smirk she had on.

"Caro...".

"I can be civilised. And I'm sure little Pablito can be a good boy and behave for an hour".

"I'm still older than you. And taller than you".

"Two months older and...not even 5cm taller".

Fermín laughed and Gavi gave him a death stare. "You're barely taller than me, Fermín. So she's mocking you too".

"No, she'd never mock me because she loves me. Right, Caro?"

"Yes! Let's go now. I'm hungry".

Fermín started to follow Carolina and Gavi realised she had done it again. She had managed to get Fermín to do whatever she wanted, even though he already had plans with Gavi. He wanted to be more mad but...maybe they could try to get on better now. If only for Fermín's sake.

"That's a lot of food", pointed out Gavi when he saw what Carolina had ordered. He would have a stomachache if he tried to eat that much.

"Worried I'd get fat?"

"No, I don't care about that".

"I did a very long training session and I woke up not very hungry and didn't have much for breakfast so I need the food now. And Fermín always gets small portions to steal my food so I have to be prepared".

"I do not", complained Fermín but knew it was true. And only a few minutes later, he was already picking up food from Carolina's plate.

The lunch was actually going well as they mostly talked about football. It was their safe topic.

"I'm going to your house tomorrow, Pablo", said Carolina, changing the subject dramatically. "Just thought I'd let you know".

"Why would you do that?"

"I'm meeting your sister. You know, the nice sibling".

"Which time are you meeting? So I can leave".

"And here I was hoping you'd welcome me in your house with open arms", she said, batting her eyelashes.

"I'd welcome the moment you leave".

"Guys...", said Fermín, sighing.

"He's the one being rude".

"You're the one trying to annoy me", said Gavi.

"And you're both giving me a headache", told them Fermín, pinching the bridge of his nose.