Chapter 9

Carolina didn't know what to expect when she woke up on New Year's Day. The first day of the year. The beginning of a new chapter...a shit beginning, as she was about to find out.

"Morning", she said to Fermín, who was sleeping on her sofa. "Let me make you breakfast as an I'm sorry you had to sleep on that sofa".

"It's fine. Are you ok?"

"Sure. I just don't want to talk about it, Fermín. Let's forget last night happened. Please".

But that was easier said than done. After a quick breakfast, they drove together to training and found two people from HR waiting for them.

"Come to our office".

"We have to train", told them Carolina.

"That can wait".

The serious looks told them they weren't going to the office to be told what great players they were. But they couldn't imagine how bad it all was going to be.

"Had fun last night?"

"What? We...", Fermín didn't know what to say.

"We know everything that happened. Fighting a player from another team, Fermín? Really?"

"I didn't fight anyone", he tried to defend himself.

"He didn't...", backed him Carolina.

"The video says differently".

A phone was given to them so they could see the video someone filmed of Fermín pushing Miguel against the wall and threatening him. Everyone was talking about it.

"It's taken out of context", said Carolina.

"Out of context or not, this is not ok. Now all everyone talks about is the fight and you two".

"They should talk about that creep!", screamed Fermín. "Why don't we tell you what he did?"

"Irrelevant".

"Irrelevant?", now Fermín was getting really mad and Carolina placed a hand on his thigh to try and calm him down.

"Irrelevant, yes. And the team doesn't need this. You both know that. Also, you should have told us you were together".

"We're not", told them Carolina.

"Carolina, it's fine. It's allowed but we need to know those things to try to avoid these situations".

"We're not dating! We're just friends, ok?", she repeated.

"Sure...when that changes, let me know".

"It won't", they both said.

One of the guys got up and opened the door so they could leave.

"Seriously? You say all that and that's it?"

"Fer...", Carolina was trying to stop him from making the situation worse but Fermín was too angry.

"No, I won't shut up. We should be going to the police because of what that pig tried to do to Carolina and you don't care".

"Did something happen? Did he assault her? Do you have any proof to go against that guy?"

"No", whispered Carolina.

"Then irrelevant".

Fermín was about to explode so Carolina grabbed his arm and took him out of the room. He protested but she couldn't allow him to get more in trouble because of her.

"Caro, it's not fucking ok!"

"I know. But I don't care about that guy. I care about you. I don't want you to get in trouble because of me".