Chapter 11

As expected, everyone found out about what Fermín and Gavi had done to Miguel. The Espanyol player wasted no time telling people. But he punched a player in front of everyone, so he was getting some hate too. Not as much as Carolina, though.

Carolina tried to ignore all of it but it was hard. Also, she didn't get why Gavi, of all people, would defend her as well. But she couldn't stop thinking about it. She knew she had to thank him but they hadn't seen each other since before the cup match. Until the day she was leaving her car before training and saw Gavi entering the building. She jogged to reach him and he turned to look at her, wondering what was going on.

"Hey, how's the leg?"

"Good".

"You sure? You don't look good", he looked a little upset. So her guess was that recovery wasn't going so well.

"Thanks. Your honesty is always so refreshing".

"I mean you look sad", clarified Carolina. "You were looking happier the last time I saw you".

"Just feeling down. You don't look great either".

She snorted. "Yeah, well...I want people to talk about me because of my career. Not to call me names and assume who I date or don't date".

"Well, at least you like Fermín. Imagine if people thought it's me you're dating".

"Yeah...".

"It's tough, you know? The spotlight at Barça. But you learn to live with it".

"How do you do that?"

Gavi was surprised by the way she asked that question. Had he ever heard Carolina sound so defeated? Not since they were children and she always covered it with sarcasm or something.

"I'll tell you when I find out".

She laughed at that. "You can send the message through my boyfriend".

Despite knowing it was a joke, Gavi felt a twinge of jealousy at those words. Probably because he always feared Carolina would steal his friend...right?

"Do you...would you like him to be your boyfriend?"

"Who? Fermín?", Gavi nodded. "No. I mean, I could do way worse than dating him but...he's always been more of an older brother to me. I guess that's what people see. We love each other but as friends. And they just see that as romantic love. I don't know. I never even thought about the possibility of seeing him as more than my friend. And I doubt he saw me as more than that either".

"A lot of people ship you or whatever that's called".

"They also shipped me with half the Atleti squad. I almost avoided any interactions with them to stop more stupid rumours".

"You didn't like any of them either?"

"It's a really hot squad and I've got eyes, you know? But no, I didn't like any of them like that. A shame Riquelme showed up when I was leaving. He's the one I could have seen myself liking. But I never met him so who knows? Maybe he's an idiot".

And there was the jealousy again. "Yeah, I...", Gavi coughed. "I met him when I was with Spain. Right before my injury. Great guy. We hung out a lot together".

"Too cute for me probably then. Too nice", she laughed. "I need someone that can keep up with me and my not so great temper".

"Putting up with you isn't easy. It's good you admit it at last".

Carolina looked at Gavi and smiled. He seemed so much more mature now. Maybe it was the injury that made him grow up faster. Or it could be that they hadn't spoken to each other, without arguing, for years. Maybe that was just the way Gavi was. She liked that.

"You say it as if putting up with you is", she said, raising an eyebrow.

"I guess I can't date Riquelme either".

That made Carolina laugh. It felt good to laugh after those tough weeks. Funny it was Gavi who managed to get that reaction.

"Thank you...I know you also confronted Miguel and defended me. You didn't have to".

"Well, someone has to. He's getting away with what he tried to do and it's not ok. I just...I had to tell him".

"Would you like to come to our next match?", she said, almost not thinking before speaking.

"Me? You want me there?"

"Fermín will be there so...he can drive you and you can keep each other company. If you can. I know it's still a bit uncomfortable for you to move around".

"Yeah. I would like that. It's good to have excuses to leave the house".

"A lot of people will ask you for photos but the crowds there are way nicer than at men's matches. Fermín always says it. And it's mostly kids too".

"I don't mind that".

"Ok. I'll tell Fermín and you can talk about it more".

Gavi nodded and Carolina left. She needed to go to training and when she got to the dressing room, she had a smile on her face. Everyone noticed. It had been a while.

"Feeling better?", asked her Ona.

"Yeah. I think I am".

"What changed?"

"I had a chat with a friend and it helped".

"Well, here is another friend if you need her".

Carolina hugged Ona briefly and got ready to train. The smile never left her face. The last few weeks she had felt alone but that day...that day she didn't.

Sevilla, 2016

The saying goes "you don't know what you have until you lose it". Carolina knew what she had when it came to Fermín. She had a best friend. Someone she loved spending time with and that was always there for her. But she never expected to miss Gavi as much as she did. She also didn't expect to be separated from Gavi. Ever. She had known him for so long, it just seemed like he'd always be in her life in one way or another.

But now, he was leaving. And so was Fermín. Both of them signed for Barça and moved to the city. Barcelona and Sevilla were so far away. She could only think about that. About how she'd only see them during the summer. If they came back at all.

"We'll still be friends, ok?", promised Fermín. And Carolina believed him. But...what about Gavi? Would she ever see him again?

All of a sudden, she felt so alone. More alone than she ever had.