Chapter 14: The School for Noble Warriors

Maharlika is a term used to refer to the warrior class during the feudal times of this country. They were freemen serving the Datu (King), providing him military support, and were considered to have a lower nobility status. They were all trained and equipped in the art of war and weaponry and served as the Datu's loyal vassals, prepared to answer his summons at any given time. In modern society, the name has evolved and become synonymous with aristocracy or nobility, directly equivalent to a 'Noble Warrior'.

Maharlika Academy is situated in the heart of Neomanila, the capital city of this country, located in the central region. Although Maharlika Academy is a private academic institution, it is known to have a well-established connection with the government. Because of this strong relationship, dark places on the internet suggested that the Academy is a secret government agency training kids to become specialized puppets of the state, a claim that has been debunked many times already.

As I walked around the Academy, I couldn't help but marvel at the amazing infrastructure right before me. It paled in comparison to my old school and other schools I'd visited before. The buildings and structures were top-notch and meticulously crafted to perfection. Everything about this school exuded sophistication, befitting the top-tier students of this country.

Completing an education at this school almost equates to a life of success and honor. It's like getting a golden ticket to life. Many important figures in different fields and practices came from this institution — well-respected government leaders, world-renowned athletes, science and technology innovators, business world titans, award-winning creatives and artists, and much more. With all the success stories converging at this school, the epicenter of answered prayers and realized dreams, many people give their best for a chance to be a part of this academic wonderland.

After a puzzling stroll around the campus, I finally arrived at my destination. I gazed upon the tall white building in front of me, separated from the regular classrooms and academic areas. It's the place where the top leaders of this school reside for work, the Executive Hall. I entered the facility's premises and spoke with the guard on duty. I shared with him the purpose of my visit and the proof of my appointment, and then, he led me to my intended endpoint — the Chairman's office.

A few days before the start of school, Ms. Kitazawa directed me to pay the Chairman a visit right after the opening ceremony. The purpose of this meeting was ambiguous, but I knew this would open up many opportunities for me to ask questions and clarify some things. This is the best way to start my search for my brother and achieve my primary purpose of attending this Academy.

I pressed the button right next to the door of the Chairman's office, and after a short while, it opened up and revealed Ms. Kitazawa standing steadily on the other side of the door. She was looking elegant as before, donning her usual formal office clothes paired with some classy accessories.

"It's nice meeting you again, Mr. Kagiwa," she said formally without moving a muscle. "Thank you for responding to the Chairman's request."

"It's a pleasure to be here, Ms. Kitazawa," I responded. "It's an honor to meet the Chairman. I appreciate the invite."

"If you may, please follow me, Mr. Kagiwa. The Chairman is waiting for you." She instructed and turned around, slowly walking towards a connecting door across the room. She knocked on the door a few times before opening it. She stepped into the room and waited for me to enter as well before closing it behind me.