Spotlight Author: @krazydiamond

If you had to describe yourself in one word, what words wouldn't you use?

Subtle, boring, tactful, thorny, leafy, wooden, I am not a tree.

What was your nickname at school?

For the longest time I went by Red. There is a long story involving summer camp and being a smart arse. In college I got the moniker Crazy diamond. It stuck.

When you were a young padawan, what did you want to be when you grew up?

I wanted to be a crocodile. I was very put out when I discovered this was not a viable option. Writer was a close second.

What is your favourite quote?

"It's not worth doing something unless someone, somewhere, would much rather you weren't doing it."-Terry Pratchett

Other than writing, what hobbies do you have?

A lot of my free time is taken up by small children. My hobbies have been reduced to nap hunting and speed reading.

Tell us something random that we don't know about you.

I have a deep singing voice, a low second alto. I can mimic quite a few male singers.

As your crew cast your lifeless body into the core of the nearest star, list three pieces of music likely to be rattling the bulkheads.

Don't stop me now by Queen, Magic Carpet Ride by Steppenwolfe, and The Walker by Fitz and the Tantrums

If you were one of the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse, which one would you be and why?

War. I would be a kickass brawler of the apocalypse.

What was the first piece of writing you were ever truly proud to have written?

When I was four years old, I dictated the story of my super hero dog to my mother, who typed it up for me. I then illustrated it and read it to everyone who would stand still for ten minutes.

Who is your all-time favourite Sci-Fi author? How much - if at all - have they influenced your writing style?

Since I quoted the man above, it is no surprise to say Terry Pratchett. His multi-genre has had a great influence on my views of the world and my sense of humor. While many of the classic writers have a place in my heart, Pratchett always comes out on top.

Do you have a muse?

My mother passed when I was quite young. I was raised by my sci fi geek of a father. He sparked a love of the genre in me and I would write stories to my mother. She is still a muse of sorts now.