Chapter 24. Definitely NOT Friends

DABI

The others had gone to sleep in the guest wing. Only Shoto and I remained in the parlor.

It was strange being here. This was where Alina had grown up. This was the prison cell she talked to me about. Where those bastards did things to her. Experimented on her. Hurt her.

My hands clenched into fists as my breating started to pitch, but I relaxed as Shoto cleared his throat.

"I think now is a good time to talk." He folded his arms across his chest as he leaned against the doors.

"I don't have anything to say." I lied turning away before he could see through me.

"It's hard not to, ya know. It's hard not to fall for her. One way or another everyone does. Even I did, but I found what I need and truly want in Midoriya." Shoto explained.

"Please. I'm not interested in some teenage love triangle bullshit. I'm too old for that crap." I rolled my eyes.

"You aren't that much older than us, and we are adults too you know."

"Potato, tomato." I smirked and he sighed.

"Why are you really here? I know it's not because the League has some score to settle with the people that wanted to sell her."

"I don't know anymore. I hate that I can't have her, but-" I sighed and scratched my chin irritably. I hated how these thoughts made me feel.
"I want her to be happy. Even if it's not with me." I admitted.

"That's called growth, brother." Shoto rolled his eyes.

"Whatever it's called- I fucking hate it." I slumped onto an armchair near the roaring fire.

Just then I sat up hearing the delicate patter of light footsteps. Shoto must have also heard it because he stared up at the ceiling in alarm.

"Maybe it's Toga coming down to switch lookouts." I shrugged.

"She's not that quick." He shook his head.

This time I heard the footsteps outside of the window.

"Am I crazy or are those footsteps leaving the premesis?" I asked.

"No, someone is trying to leave. I'll follow the footsteps, you wake the others."

"How about I follow the footsteps." I suggested. The last thing I wanted to see was Bakugou's naked ass fucking Alina, or Twice and Toga going at it.

Shivering involuntary I opened the doors to find a disheveled Bakugou barreling down the stairs towards me with a ferocity in his eyes.

"Where is she?!" He bellowed. Shoto caught him before he could blast me through the next room.

"Who? Alina?" I asked.

"Yes dipshit! Where is she?!" He snarled.

"Footsteps." Shoto murmured.

"Damn." I hissed and rushed out the front doors ignoring Bakugou's string of slurs trailing after me.

I sprinted through the dark following the trail of footsteps in the freshly fallen snow. Quicker footsteps were hot on my heels.

"You should've stayed inside hot head." I called over my shoulder as we ran across the grounds following footprints.

A rough hand grabbed my wrist pulling me to a stop. I licked my teeth in annoyance and glared at the blond. His palms crackled as my own began to heat.

"Alina is MY girlfriend. I don't know what the fuck you did to her, but if you ever touch her, or even look at her again I will kill you."

Normally his voice was obnoxiously loud, and brazen, showing off that he was angry and unable to control his temper. Now he spoke with a calm ferocity that was reaching boiling point just beneath his cool exterior.