Chapter 18

- I have an appointment at eleven with Miss Kim.

The receptionist smiled and looked at her appointment book.

- Ms. Kang?

- The only one.

I grinned from ear to ear, like an idiot. The woman must have thought she was the cause of my excitement. She was beautiful. I bet a lot of men had crushes on her, but my excitement was because of just one woman. Just hearing her voice on the intercom made my heart race a little.

- Yes, Sullyoon? - Chaewon asked.

- Your eleven o'clock client is here.

- Thank you, Sullyoon. Can you ask her to come in in five minutes? I need to get organized. - I imagined her desk full of scattered papers.

Sullyoon released the button and spoke to me:

- Have a seat. I'll call you in ten minutes. She's one of the best lawyers in the office, but her desk is usually a disaster.

I sat at the reception desk and flicked through a magazine while I waited, but I couldn't concentrate. I had waited almost a week for this appointment. The day before I had picked up my new suit. It was tailored and fit very well. When I looked in the mirror, for the first time in two years, I didn't hate what I saw.

I fixed my tie, hoping that the saleswoman who had helped me choose it was right. She said that this shade of blue highlighted the color of my eyes and that it would be impossible not to captivate a woman. In a strange way, her words explained what I wanted to do with Chaewon... Possibly for the rest of our lives. I might have only spent eight days with her, but we learned what most people take six months of dating to learn. Coming to Temecula confirmed what I had thought for the last two years - I was a hopeless case when it came to Kim Chaewon.

Sullyoon came out from behind his desk.

- Ms. Kang? If you're ready, I'll take you there now.

I took a deep breath.

- I'm more than ready.

We walked down two long corridors and passed some men in suits. This place was a fucking convention of suits. After another corridor, Sullyoon stopped at a door. Corner office.

Well done, princess. She was valued there. I felt so proud.

- Hi, Chaewon. Ms. Kang is here.

- Thank you.

Sullyoon stepped aside so that I could enter. My lawyer was looking down. She spoke before raising her head:

- Nice to...

Chaewon froze. I could have sworn that, for a second, I saw a glimmer of enthusiasm in his eyes. But it quickly disappeared... and was replaced by anger. I had expected this reaction.

- Ms. Kang? - She rolled her eyes. - How could I have missed that?

I smiled, but she didn't find it funny.

- Kazuha. I'm working. I can't take part in your little game here. You need to leave.

I buttoned my jacket.

- I'm here for work.

- Nice try. I'm a copyright lawyer. If you've been arrested for DUI or lewd and inappropriate behavior, you'll need to go to another office, at Celino and Barnes.

- I need a copyright lawyer.

- Really? - She wasn't believing a word I was saying.

- Yes.