S1-17: The Dragon's Secret

It is night time in Macau, China, and a young woman named "Mai Le" has set her eyes on a pawn shop. She enters and walks up to the owner named "Ray" for assistance. Ray: "May I help you?" Mai Le: "Do you have any jewelry? You know, like rings and stuff?" "Of course. Right this way." She shows her the side of the counter that has the rings and sets her eyes on one that really stands out. "Ooh. Let me see that one." "I'm not supposed to show that to anyone." "[puppy eyes] Not even me?" "Oh, I--I guess it wouldn't hurt to let you look." He takes out his keys to open the glass door and hands her the ring. She's astonished by it 'cause of the appearance and emerald eyes. "How much?" "I'm afraid it's not for sale. I'm just holding it for a customer."

The telephone goes off and he goes to answer it, but that was his mistake. He left the ring Mai Le and didn't pay attention to what she did. Ray: "Chu Chow's trading post. Ray speaking." She took the ring out of the case and replaced it with her panda bear ring before leaving. Mai Le: "Well, thanks, anyway." Ray: "[phone] Look, just tie it down until I get home." The bells to the door go off again and Ray's pet is feeling scared by who's at the door. The taller man walks up to Ray who is surprised by his presence as he hangs up the phone. "I'm gonna have to call you back." "I've come for my ring." "Of course." Ray walks over to the ring counter and hands him the ring case. Once the man opens it, he''s furious. "What is this?!" Ray looks in the box and sees a panda ring instead of the dragon one. Ray: "I don't understand. It was just here."

The man suddenly has sparks of electricity coming from his hands, which scares Ray and his pet. Ray: "But I--I--" The man lifts Ray up as he prepares to strike him with the electricity. "NO! Please! [screams]" Outside the shop, Mei Le watches all this happen while looking at the ring she stole.

Back in Crystal Cove, the gang is at Chen's Coffee in China Town for a nice meal and drinks. Shaggy: "Like, I'll take a double bacon latte, dry, no whip, with a triple pump of nacho cheese. Heh heh. Can you make that?" Chen: "Make it? I invented it." Daphne: "Tonight's the first time my parents will see Nakala and me as a couple. I just want everything to be perfect. They weren't really fond of Nakala, last I checked. Thanks for listening." Scooby: "No problem." Nakala, Michael, Charlotte, and Velma walk in with a random woman. It's Mai Le. Daphne: "Guys, over here." Velma: "Those are my friends. Watch out for the skinny, frail-looking one." she says to Mai Le. Charlotte: "I'm ready for some good ole Chinese food." Nakala: "You and me both, sis." Velma: "This is Mai Le. She's here for China on a 2-week student exchange." Shaggy: "Like who did we exchange for her?" "The school's weird girl, hot dog water." Nakala: "Her name is Marcy." he says with a hint of anger in that serious tone. "...Sorry."

Daphne: "Welcome to Crystal Cove, Mai Le. I think you're gonna love it here." Scooby: "Me, too." Mai Le: "Me, too." she says all dreamy as she looks at Shaggy. Shaggy can't lie, he's feeling an attachment to her as well. Chen then walks over with the food. Ice cream sandwiches with meat? Michael: "Yo, Chen. You still serving those China stars?" "Always, my friend. I'll get them with you and your sibling's usual drinks." Velma: "Hey, Chen, this is Mai Le. She's visiting from China." "Welcome. Please try one of my Szechuan pork ice-cream sandwiches, on the house. Heh heh. Uh..." Chen notices the ring on Mai Le and excuses himself away. "Uh, excuse me."

Nakala and his siblings notice it and Nakala looks at Charlotte. He didn't need to say anything. The three are so tied together that it's like they're reading each other's minds. She gives a slightly noticeable nod before getting up. They want to know what that ring is about and Charlotte can speak Chinese. Daphne: "You know, there's a delegate from China visiting Crystal Cove right now. Fred is showing him around town with his dad. Fred's dad is the mayor." Velma: "Daphne's mom and dad are hosting a dinner for him tonight. You should come." Mai Le: "Will there be any cute boys there." Daphne: "Well, there's Nakala, me and Velma's boyfriend." Shaggy: "Like, a-hem." "Oh, and Shaggy?" "Then I'll be there... for sure." Velma: "Sister, you're playing with fire."