VI: Trouble With The King

"She wanted what?" Malik asked.

"To remodel the guest section, Master Malik."

Malik had had a long day at the office. Besides the usual pestering by the board members to produce an heir, he had had to sit through two meetings with self-absorbed European aristocrats who felt that they could intimidate him because they were thrice his age. 

As Sea spoke, most of his words flew over Malik's head so Sea had been repeating his sentences patiently.

Malik rested his head on his right arm. "Who's going to help her? Do you plan to hire a draftsman to be by her side?"

Malik wasn't completely against the idea. However, the thought of letting Hadassah walk on the streets with the eyes of men following her, like moths drawn to light, irked him. Bringing a foreigner into the family wing of Persia house was also out of the question. Malik had too little staff, none of them with enough time to monitor the stranger's behavior.

"I was getting to that. She wishes to make the designs herself. She won't need to meet the workers herself unless during the actual construction."

Malik frowned in confusion. "Does she have some form of education in architecture? Or any education at all?"

"I am not supposed to be privy to that piece of information," Sea replied.

Malik replayed Sea's words in his head.

Supposed to be.

Suddenly, Malik smiled. Sea's words were an apology for cyberstalking his wife.

"Yet, you are," Malik stated.

Sea nodded cautiously. Malik eased Sea's worries by gesturing for Sea to keep speaking.

"Lady Hadassah has a bachelor's and is due to receive her master's degree in Business Administration. There are no records of any form of architecture."

Malik made a strangled sound. There was only one thing more attractive than a beautiful woman- an educated one, particularly in business. Malik grasped the list that Sea had given him full of business textbooks written by Italian men and drawing supplies.

"Get her everything on her list. Anything she wants. There is no need to ask me before ordering them. I'd like to know what she asks for but don't make her wait longer by asking me first. Also, open the house account and do not give her a budget for the remodeling. I want to see her work in its purest form."

Sea's smile widened. "She complained a few days ago that the house was too dark. She might not just stop at the guest section."

Malik's eyes narrowed a fraction of an inch at Sea's clear excitement. "She's the lady of this house, is she not? She can do what she wants."

Sea bowed. "Yes, Master Malik."

"Did she like her coffee?" Malik asked as an afterthought.

"She called it love in a cup."

Malik didn't pick up on Sea's teasing until he was out of his chair, silently fuming.

When Malik finally looked at Sea's amused expression, he let out a breath. The instant strength that he had in that split second dissipated and Malik slumped in his chair.

"You were joking, weren't you?"

"No, I wasn't. She said it tasted like love in a cup."

A strange feeling came over Malik that he had to bite his tongue to prevent himself from lashing out at Sea. His hesitation was as a result of logic. Sea was a forty-eight-year-old man, twice Hadassah's age, and was incredibly loyal to the Persia house. Malik didn't need to worry.