Chapter 3

Hae-In's car glided through the city's bustling streets, her mind as chaotic as the traffic outside. Beside her sat Secretary Na, ever attentive, as they made their way across town. Their destination was not the familiar confines of Queens Department Store but a nondescript building on the opposite side, housing a reputable law firm.

The car came to a smooth halt in front of the firm. Hae-In and Secretary Na stepped out, their heels clicking against the pavement, echoing the gravity of their visit. They walked briskly, with an air of purpose, stopping in front of a door adorned with the nameplate 'Kim Yang-Ki'.

Kim Yang-Ki was no ordinary lawyer; he was a close friend of Hyun-Woo and renowned as a top divorce attorney. The title on his nameplate seemed to add to the tension in the air.

As they stood outside Kim Yang-Ki's office, Secretary Na's curiosity got the best of her. She leaned closer to Hae-In, confusion clear on her face. "Are you and Director Baek really getting a divorce?" she blurted out, unable to hold it in any longer.  She asked it because Kim Yang-Ki is the top divorce lawyer around. He's helped so many big business families split up, and there are always rumors about Hae-in and Hyun-Woo in the news.

Hae-In turned and gave Secretary Na a sharp look, her eyes like daggers. Secretary Na immediately regretted asking and clamped her mouth shut, realizing she might have crossed a line.

In a cool, bossy tone, Hae-In said, "You stay here." Her voice left no room for argument. She had come to discuss something serious and private with Kim Yang-Ki, and she didn't want any interruptions. Secretary Na nodded quickly, deciding it was best to follow the order without any more questions.

Hae-In took a deep breath and entered the office, leaving Secretary Na outside, who stood there, feeling a bit silly for letting her curiosity get the better of her.

As Hae-In walked into the office, Kim Yang-Ki looked up, surprised to see her. He quickly stood up from his seat, greeting her respectfully. "Mrs. Hong, you're here? You could have called, and I'd come to you."

Hae-In, with her usual calm and commanding presence, replied, "I needed to discuss something important with you, so I came."

"Please, have a seat," Yang-Ki offered, gesturing to the chair opposite his desk. Hae-In placed her expensive handbag on the table and sat down. Once she was settled, Yang-Ki returned to his seat and asked, "How can I assist you ?"

Without saying a word, Hae-In reached into her handbag and pulled out a small bottle of pills. The label was half-peeled, giving it a mysterious look. She placed it on the table in front of Yang-Ki and asked, "What are these pills for?"

Yang-Ki glanced at the bottle and let out a nervous chuckle. "Mrs. Hong, I'm a lawyer, not a doctor."

Hae-In's expression remained cold and serious. "Hyun-Woo takes these. Now tell me, what are they for?"

Yang-Ki's face paled at her words. He hesitated, fumbling for an explanation. "Uh... They could be vitamins or something."

Hae-In leaned in slightly, her eyes narrowing. "Then why has Hyun-Woo visited the Sungmin university medical center eight times this month?"

Yang-Ki shifted uncomfortably in his seat, the weight of Hae-In's suspicion pressing down on him. He was clearly caught off guard and struggling to find a way out of the conversation.

Before Kim Yang-Ki could weave another lie, Hae-In issued a stern warning. "Don't attempt to deceive me," she said firmly. Then, she appealed to him with a request for honesty. "Please, tell me the truth. I have a right to know. I am his wife," she insisted, her eyes betraying a mix of despair and fear of losing Hyun-Woo.