Chapter 35

—I'm not very sure,— I pouted, feeling my heart beating nervously beneath my chest.

She smiled and leaned closer to kiss the top of my head.

—What do you think will happen?— she asked, her breath tickling my hair.

—I don't know, Ryuddaeng,— I murmured, watching the airport terminal building's peak come into view through the taxi's rear window. —I know it's been a year,— I said as her nose continued to nuzzle my hair. —But remember, the last time we talked, she slapped me,— my brow furrowed in anguish at the memory.

Ryujin chuckled, her laughter's breath brushed against my neck, then her lips gently touched it, sending shivers down my spine.

—You know Lia better than anyone. She can't hold a grudge for that long,— she said, now looking at me. —Besides, she's fine now, she's with Yuna,— she smiled. —Time heals wounds, remember?—

—Not all wounds, Ryujin,— I countered, now truly nervous as the taxi pulled up right in front of the airport.

Ryujin paid the taxi fare, and nonchalantly, I stepped out. I stood there until Ryujin joined me, her hand resting on my waist, her touch calming me slightly.

—Let's go,— she said gently, nudging me forward.

We walked together as people bustled around with luggage and tickets in hand.

—Why are you so calm? Did her last words to you include, 'It's okay, Ryujin, no problem that you fell in love with my best friend, go in peace'?— I muttered, expecting her to laugh, but instead, her expression tightened.

—No. You know I didn't get a chance to say goodbye, but... look, if they wanted to come and visit us, I think there are no hard feelings anymore,— she shrugged. —Relax, okay?— She kissed my temple as we continued walking to find a seat and wait for their flight.

After a few minutes, we saw them coming out through the door where other passengers from the London flight emerged. I recognized Lia's brown hair; her gaze was low, indifferent, still familiar.

—Ryujin...— I murmured fearfully, almost suggesting we should run away.

—I see them!— she interrupted me, squeezing my hand tightly and pulling me towards them. —Yuna!— she shouted, waving her left hand for her to see.

I fixed my gaze on Lia, and only her. It's not that I didn't miss my best friend, but I wanted to see her expression and decide if running away was such a bad idea.

Upon hearing Ryujin's voice, Lia looked up. Her eyes met Ryujin's with a different look, the kind you give to an old friend you sincerely appreciate.

Then she looked at me, and although I froze, suddenly tense, she managed a faint smile and lowered her gaze again, leaving me feeling confused and flustered.

—Ryujin, Yeji!— Yuna's voice made me turn to her; she didn't look much different, in fact, neither had changed.

—Sister,— Ryujin embraced Yuna affectionately once we were all close, and I looked back at Lia, still cautious.

—Hello,— she said with a faint smile on her face.

—Hello, Lia,— I replied shyly, it was strange exchanging words with her after a year, especially after our last exchange ended in a string of curses.

She looked at Ryujin and smiled, not like before, but it seemed genuine.

—Lia,— Ryujin said and leaned in to hug her. It was a quick and awkward hug for Lia, as I could tell from her face. —Shall we go to a restaurant? My treat, as a welcome. What do you say?— Ryujin offered.