Chapter 18: Unleash the Beastly Beast

A magnificent chamber shimmered before Harry. Green fire crackled from the mouths of realistic stone snakes stretching into the distance. A constant rustling noise filled the chamber, accompanying the walls that seemed move with life. Looking closer, Harry realized the walls were made up of thousands of tiny live snakes. Thankfully, they seemed to stay on the walls and not bother him as he walked deeper into the icy chamber. As he neared the end, a magnificent statue carved out of glistening emerald came out of the shadows. Harry looked up to see a face that must have belonged to Salazar Slytherin, covered in giant stone snakes.

"Harry!"

The voice echoed throughout the chamber. Harry stopped in his tracks. At first, he thought it was Hermione. He wouldn't be surprised if she busted down the door just to be with him. It was actually Ginny. He was about to run toward her when something moving around her made him stop. She was surrounded by hundreds of tiny green snakes, all slithering around her like she was the center of their universe.

"Are you okay?" Harry asked, sidestepping a hissing snake.

Ginny folded her arms. "Do I look okay? I'm trapped in a ring of venomous snakes."

"Who brought you down here?"

"Uh, three people: me, myself, and I."

"What?" Harry tripped on something. He fell flat on his face and yelled as he came dangerously close to the snake ring. He quickly crawled backward and saw Tom Riddle's diary lying open. He gaped at the diary. "Ginny, you took the diary? What's it doing down here?"

Ginny shrugged. "I don't know. I was possessed."

"Possessed? How?"

Ginny pointed to the diary. "That's the culprit. So... funny story. I found the diary in my books when we got home from Diagon Alley. I have no idea where it came from. I started writing in it, and it kinda wrote back to me. It told me to do some awful things like eat my vegetables and open the Chamber of Secrets, but I'd rather not get into it."

Harry gasped. "Ginny, you opened the Chamber of Secrets?"

Ginny smiled weakly. "Guilty! Don't hate me."

"You made that poster," Harry realized.

"Did you like it?"

"It was really nice. You need to review your grammar though."

A raspy breath rumbled over the hissing around them. Harry quickly said, "It wasn't me." He felt a surge of energy at his feet. He looked at the diary and saw it quivering. Something round erupted from the open pages, something in jet-black liquid. A head appeared, followed by a body. Soon, a person dripping in black ink fully materialized. He stepped out of the book and grinned wickedly. Harry could see gleaming teeth that were soon splashed with ink.

"Hello, Harry Potter."

"Who are you?"

The figure blinked. "Really? You don't know who I am?"

Harry shook his head.

"Should I give you a riddle?"

"Sure."

"I'm Tom Riddle!" the inky figure shouted restlessly. He wiped ink out of his eyes.

"Oh!" Harry smiled. He was happy to have some help to save Ginny even though the guy was weirdly dripping in what seemed like an endless waterfall of ink. "Can I call you Tommy? Or Thomas?"

"No!" Riddle arched his head back and roared with laughter. "None of you will ever get out!"

Harry looked around at the otherwise empty chamber apart from Ginny. "Why are you talking like this place is full of people? Can you help me save Ginny?"