32: The First Date

TARA

Standing in front of the car, I couldn't help but smile as he got out, his face a mix of confusion and worry.

He glanced back at Rohan, who was grinning widely, leaning against the car as he threw him a playful wink. 

Aditya walked towards me, his eyes wide with worry. "Tara, what's going on? Are you okay?" he asked.

I stepped closer, letting the amusement shine in my eyes. "I'm fine, Adi. It was all a plan to get you here."

"A plan?" he repeated, still sounding disbelieving and a bit panicked.

"Yes, a plan," I confirmed, reaching out to take his hand. 

He looked back at Rohan, who was leaning against the car, still grinning like a fool. "You scared the hell out of me, both of you," he said, his voice finally softening as he pulled me into a tight embrace.

"I'm sorry," I whispered against his chest, feeling the steady beat of his heart. "We didn't mean to worry you."

"It's okay," he said, holding me close. "Just promise me you won't do something like this again."

I nodded, and he kissed the top of my head. His heartbeat gradually returned to normal, the tension melting away. The fear, confusion, and anger in his eyes ebbed, replaced by overwhelming relief.

"Now if you two lovebirds are done being so lovey-dovey, I'll excuse myself," Rohan said with a playful grin.

"Thank you so much, Rohan. If not for you, I wouldn't have managed," I replied, smiling gratefully at him.

"Anything for you, bhabhi," he responded, returning the smile.

"So now, if you two are done, tell me what's happening?" Aditya said, looking at me with confusion and curiosity.

"Have patience, hubby. You'll soon get to know," I teased him, enjoying the suspense. "Close your eyes and don't open them until I say so."

He complied, closing his eyes, and I gently turned him around. Taking out my phone, I quickly typed a message and sent it.

"For how long do I have to keep my eyes closed?" he asked, a hint of impatience in his voice. I stood on my toes, placing my fingers gently over his eyes to keep them shut. 

"You know you lack patience?" I said, trying to hide my amusement.

He chuckled. "I'm hearing that for the second time today."

My phone vibrated with a notification, and I knew it was time. I removed my hands from his eyes. "Now you can open them."

He slowly opened his eyes, adjusting to the sudden change in the environment. What was pitch dark moments ago now shone brightly with colorful lights. We were standing in front of an amusement park, illuminated in all its glory. His expression changed from curiosity to confusion, and his smile faded.

He looked at me, his eyes searching for an explanation. I intertwined my fingers with his, drawing his attention back to me.

"Happy birthday, Adi," I said softly, a smile playing across my lips. His eyes lit up, and he was about to speak, but I gently cut him off. I knew he hated celebrating his birthdays; Maa had told me about it. I wanted to ask her why, but it didn't seem like the right time. And I didn't want to pressure him into telling me either. I would wait for him, no matter how long it took.

Every person has their own scars, their own stories. Forcing them to share when they're not ready isn't something I could ever do. I had my own scars, my own story. He had showered me with love and care and waited until I opened my heart to him. I wanted to do the same for him.