34: The Invite

ADITYA

It was 10 PM, and the road was mostly empty, save for the occasional car passing by. The streetlights cast long shadows, and the air was cool and still. 

I saw the black car hurtling in her direction at full speed. Despite the empty road, it was heading straight for us. This was no coincidence; it was deliberately planned.

Fear gripped me as I realized Tara was waiting for me inside. My heart pounded loudly at the mere thought of something happening to her. As the car drew nearer, my breaths grew shorter, my anxiety heightening with every passing second.

There is no illusion greater than fear. It exists only in the mind, yet it destroys a person completely. It first takes over the brain, driving one insane, then occupies the body until the person becomes weak. 

A weak person cannot survive in this cruel world where everyone is ready to devour you. Before fear destroys you, you must destroy it. Don't let it stand in your way. That's the fucking philosophy I've believed in to conquer this already fucked up world.

I had never feared anything—until today. She is my absolute strength and my greatest weakness. Just the thought of her not being in the same world as me, not breathing the same air as me, made me want to burn down the whole world.

I ran towards her with all my strength, but before I could reach her, it crashed into the car and sped away. 

The sound of metal colliding and tires screeching echoed in my ears as it pushed our car, making it spin violently. The force of the impact sent it skidding across the road, tires squealing against the asphalt, sparks flying as metal ground against metal.

Time seemed to slow down as I watched in horror, my life shattering before my eyes. The phone slipped from my hand, hitting the ground and breaking, much like my heart in that moment. I stood there helplessly as a tear escaped my eye. Everything faded in front of me; as my world crumbled down. My voice stuck in my throat, unable to utter a word.

"Tara," my voice came out low, my hands cold, and my body freezing as cold waves hit me on the face. I gathered the strength left in me, "Tara!" I said loudly.

I reached the car and saw smoke billowing from the engine. There was so much smoke that I couldn't see anything. I tried to open the door, but it wouldn't budge. I ran to the other side and tried again, my heart growing more restless with each failed attempt.

"Tara, can you hear me?" I banged on the window frantically. "Jaan, if you can hear me, don't be afraid. I will get you out of here. I won't let anything happen to you." I pulled the door handle, yanking it aggressively. The smoke made it difficult to see inside; I couldn't see her or anything inside.

"Jaan, nothing will happen to you. Can you hear me? Please, answer me. My heart is breaking," I pleaded, trying to open the door, but all my efforts were in vain. The engine caught fire and exploded at the front of the car. Panic surged through me as I began punching the window with my fists.

Blood oozed from my hand as it came into contact with the broken glass, but I didn't stop. Nothing could stop me from saving her even if I've to keep my life at stake. I kept punching until the window shattered, and the smoke inside the car rushed out, engulfing me. I opened the door with my blood-soaked hands.

Fear overtook me as I looked around, desperately searching for any sign of her, any traces of blood. But there was nothing.

"Adi," her voice came out low and weak, and my heart stopped. I froze in place, my muscles tensing.

I turned around to see her standing there, her eyes wide with shock as she tried to comprehend the situation. She was a few feet away from the wreckage, her body trembling, her clothes disheveled. I ran to her, wrapping her in my arms, holding her tight.