Chapter 2

Gabriel sat for a long moment, lost in his own thoughts, when suddenly he heard something hit the window. He walked over to check what could have caused the noise, but he didn't see anything. After that he turning his head towards the kitchen and he found it empty again. He looked at watch, it was already 20 minutes after 2PM. Panicked, he quickly ran out of the kitchen and went to his atelier, but the slightly open door made him slow down his steps. The voices of two people talking came from inside the atelier. Curious, Gabriel walked closer to the door, trying to eavesdrop on the conversation with the mysterious interlocutor. He walked to the door, opening it a little more. He looked inside and saw Adrien talking to Nathalie.

...............................................................

N: Adrien, I heard you ran away yesterday, what happened?

Adrien rubbed the back of his neck in embarrassment, remembering his performance yesterday.

A: It's nothing, just...

Nathalie placed a hand on Adrien's shoulder and smiled fondly.

N: Adrien, you know you can tell me anything.

Adrien took a deep breath.

A: It was just the way my father talked about my mother that made me feel a pang in my heart. He said it as if the only important person in his life was my mother. I had the impression that we were nothing to him.

N: "Adrien...." Nathalie said this with tenderness and hugged the boy to her. "I'm sure your father didn't mean it like that but unfortunately you have to remember that your mother is his sun and we will always be in her shadow. But maybe it will console you that, for me you are my sun."

Nathalie smiled broadly. After a moment, Adrien returns Nathalie's smile and cuddles closer to her.

A: I love you Nathalie.

N: "I love you too, Adrien." Nathalie kissed Adrien on the head.

...............................................................

Gabriel watched the scene with his mouth wide open. He had no idea that such a strong bond had formed between Nathalie and Adrien. He felt stupid after hearing Adrien's words. When he defended Emilie's name, he was overcome with strong emotions. He wasn't aware of all the words and how they might be perceived by Adrien. He also felt a pang in his heart when he heard Nathalie's words. He never expected Nathalie to think that she and Adrien meant so little to him, but looking back on his actions, he couldn't blame her. Watching this scene, he felt as if he was watching something forbidden, so in order not to arouse suspicions of eavesdropping, he decided to pretend that he had just arrived. He pushed the door open and went inside.

G: "Sorry, Nathalie, for being late, but I was talking to..." Gabriel pretended to be surprised when he saw Adrien in the atelier.

Nathalie and Adrien broke apart and looked at Gabriel.

N: I know, but I hope you'll keep the time next time.

G: Of course.

There was an awkward silence in the atelier. Gabriel, feeling too overwhelmed by his inner guilt, decided to return to work because he was unable to look into Nathalie's eyes.

G: Maybe I'll go back to work.

...............................................................

Nathalie nodded and moved towards the computer to reply to the rest of the emails. Adrien looked from his father to Nathalie. He felt a strange tension in the air, he didn't understand. He noticed that his father was more flustered than usual. Suddenly a thought occurred to him. He realized that his father must have heard their conversationand his behavior showed that he was ashamed of what he had done. The thought put a big smile on his face. If his father regrets his words, it means there is still hope.